I have the Microsoft Security Update CD(Feb 2004). I'm interested in finding out if I can make a new cd that will install the security updates *without* the newer versions of Windows Media Player (and Direct X too); but most of all leave out the newer WMP's.

And even possibly add the critical updates that have come out after Feb 2004?

I'm kind of the guru in my family and when they need to have their operating system reinstalled, they let me do it. I'm always forgetting that the WMP and DirectX will get upgraded if I use the CD.

I can't remember if there is an option for a custom install on the CD where I can de-select WMP and/or DirectX, and leave the version that their operating system installs. They mostly use 98 and WindowsMe on older computers. Nobody is into a lot of media applications that they'd need the more advanced programs. What they have is plenty for them.

Plus, the newer WMP's do not play nice with Roxio, despite the latest Roxio updates, and that causes problems for them too.

So, my question is basically...if I explored the update CD and copied all but the WMP and DirectX folders and made a new cd, would it still scan their system and install all the rest of the needed updates? Or does anyone know if there is a custom install option on the original CD and I can do it from there?

Thanks