Thread: Is the SP2 firewall good enough or do I need Zone Alarm?

Arrow Should I turn the SP2 firewall on? I have EZ Armour firewall.

It is not the 30 day trail one. It is the 1 year, less features, trail part. I am on cable.
    Thank you
    Last edited by veronica; January 13th, 2005 at 23:37 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    sp2 only prevents inbound connections.

Programs are still free to transmit your info to the internet.

yep zonealarm free helps

www.zonelabs.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    I don't know about zone alarm though. I would go with kerio, looknstop, or outpost

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    SP2 firewall is good enough, however if you are prone to getting spyware and use IE or visit 'corrupt' website with installers, then an additional firewall is Ideal...

I have the EzArmour Firewall and AV with the 1 year trial, it works well enough with no complaints. Something for nothing is always good

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    Last edited by lynchknot; January 14th, 2005 at 01:35 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    veronica you said "I have EZ Armour firewall" is that correct ? well that is ZoneAlarm so just use what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    veronica you said "I have EZ Armour firewall" is that correct ? well that is ZoneAlarm so just use what you have.
    OK. Thank you all for replying.

Bronze Member

Get a hardware F/W

Frankly - my advice is, if you can afford it - get a broadband router with a built-in firewall. It'll save you a lot of problems.

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

Titanium Member
    Here's a leaktest comparison (though there is much more to a good firewall than just leaktest performance) SP2 fails every test - http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm

I use a router and a software firewall.
    Last edited by lynchknot; January 15th, 2005 at 19:10 PM.

There will always be a level below which leaktesters can function to 'prove' you are unprotected, and strictly speaking they test IDS not firewalls. Most modern Personal Firewalls include an IDS component.

Any comments?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Leaktest test outgoing connections, SP2 Firewall doesnt protect outgoing... but you'd only have a 'leak' with virus or Spyware etc... but if all clean, and you dont get infected then ...

I agree too Curio .

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Test, test, and more tests! Way to go lynchy!

One thing to remember is when you do a test from a site is you are literally approving the site's test method to send and receive certain data. Not good for a test for obvious reasons. First, their test bed software is designed to work in their favor because you/I approved for specific data to pass. Not reliable at all.

Do it right and start a thread where everyone downloads and installs two or more firewalls. Then test between each other with different PC settings and connections. Then compare the results to the latest online tests with the respective sites. Where a site does not provide a online test then disregard that site. You have everything to gain and nothing to loose

Jeff

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Here's a leaktest comparison (though there is much more to a good firewall than just leaktest performance) SP2 fails every test - http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm

I use a router and a software firewall.
    Using the Java tester stopped Firefox from functioning. Had to do a reboot to get things working again.

I am struggling to think of something less useful than a leaktester.
    Nope, maybe ....but naah.
    They could write a program that pretends to be a NAV update and installs empty sig files, proving NAV doesn't detect virii - that might be even more pointless.
    This is a difficult concept for people but running a file on your system can always do stuff - what if a leaktester installed HackerDefender Rootkit and used that or another service to hide the processes from the detection software? What if a leak tester modified the stack so it operated outside the firewall? What if your leak tester is specifically written to exploit a known weakness in one or other firewalls, you are allowing it to run to do it? (hopefully not something you would do with a Trojan) Like I said there is always a level below which it can go, don't waste your time.