Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: athlon 64 3400+

Silver Member

athlon 64 3400+

ive been told by a friend that the athlon 64 3400+ is the best 64 bit because it has a 1 megabyte cache what are ur guys thoughts on this....also ive been curios since the 64 bit runs on a 1600mhz fsb how does that work since the fastest memory out there is only 633 if my memory serves me correctly....and insight u guys wanna shine on this topic would be greatly appriciated thanks

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar
    the fsb that is 1600 is basicly amds patnented duel chanel tech, its a fsb running at 800 mhz that uses hypertransport to boost it too 1600, thiers also the 940 pin amd 64 that has duel 1000 mhz,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Silver Member
    ok but how can it run that fast if no memory runs that fast yet....and if someone would get the ddr2 633mhz would that mean it runs at 1266mhz in dual channel then?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Nate, it is not that trivial to run the CPU and the RAM at the same speed anymore. You have all the time FSB of 133 and RAM of 200, or viceverse. My CPU has a FSB of 166 and my RAM of 217 as an example.
    Also, what arquitecture are you talking about? My info might be outdated, but Athlon 64 3400+ Runs at 2200 Mhz with a FSB of 800 (200Mhz x 4) 128 K L1 Cache and 1MB LV2, 754 pin release date January 6 2004. Those are the specs for the Clawhammer.
    Also the memory access is direct not thru the chipset if that helps you.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well thats the cpu I'm getting very soon along with the msi neo platitium2

Silver Member
    but what im gettin at is how can the fsb run at 2200 mhz (sry i said 1800) it just confuses the hell outta me i know the controler is on chip now but i dont get how it can run that fast ive tried researchin it but didnt find too much...if u dont know how to explain it then thats fine just tryin to learn more about the 64 bit

The FSB (front Side Bus) is not running at 2200Mhz. The FSB is 800Mhz (200Mhz x 4)
    the 2200 Mhz is the Internal speed of the CPU itself (800 x 2.75 = 2200)
    Since AMD's Athon XP and 64 can process more data per cycle than Pentium or the Socket A Athlon, AMD uses a referal number. So, more or less a AMD Athlon 64 running a 2.2 Ghz has the same speed as a Athlon (non XP) running at 3.4 Ghz (or a Pentium 4 running at 3.4 Ghz, but you did not hear this from me)
    The CPU is really running at 2200 Mhz, even thought it is called 3400 (that is why the + is there. Check carefully and you won't find a MHz around the 3400)
    Does it make sense now? It is to help the end users have an idea of the speed of the CPU

Silver Member
    i knew amds ran at lower speeds i myself have a 3200 which also runs at 2.2ghz but im sry i still dont get how the fsb can be 800 if no ram runs that fast yet i dont get how the whole 200x4 works yet but im tryin maybe another reply and ill get it finally

well, there is RAM that runs at 800 actually. And there is RAM that runs higher too. The RAM I use at my work's PC is RDRAM that runs at 800 MHz.
    It is not necesay that the FSB is paired with the RAM anymore. That is why AMD and Intel came with optimizations to make the CPU do extra work like hyperthreading to take advantage of that. What happens at the cycle is that the information is synched. In other words, the CPU doesn't wait anymore for the RAM. Those were issues from the past.
    Does that help? There are way too many optimizations to name them all. Intel CPUs don't run either paired with the RAM

Silver Member
    so in other words wheather u have say 400 mhz ram or ddr2 that runs at 633mhz the fsb will always be 800? and would buyin the 633 instead of havin 400 would that make any difference then or is the 633 just mostly for overclocking?

Getting close. With newer board regardless of the RAM it will run at the FSB speed supported by the CPU. You want the faster RAM to increase system performance, but there aren't anymore tied together, so installing slower RAM won't decrease your FSB, and lowering your FSB won't slow your RAM speed. Also a lot goes in the thouroughtput, but that is too mathematical even for me (I get dizzy when calculating those things.
    If the obard supports 633 get that. If it doesn't it will run at the higher speed that the motherboard supports. Thanks all that SPD.
    For example, my RAM is 433 Mhz, with timings of 2-4-4-7, but runing at 400 gives me in timings 2-3-3-6, thought the reason I lowered the speed was because I overclocked the CPU, not because I wanted lower timings.

Silver Member
    ok i think we are almost done so if u have a 64 bit and u get 633 drr2 ram then it will run at that speed swhich will increase system performance where as if u have 400 ddr it would be slower am i right? i mean that question sounds kinda stupid cause everyone knows that 633 is faster than 400 but im just makin sure i got this all straight
    Last edited by Nate89; January 14th, 2005 at 04:01 AM.

DDR 400 will run at 400 Mhz, while DDR2 633 will run at 633 MHz, so DDR633 is faster than DDR400.
    But the FSB in the CPU is always the same. Using DDR2633 should give you better performance always.
    But the CPU won't run faster because of the faster RAM. It will run at the same speed. It will be able to do more stuff since it has comunication with the system more often.

Silver Member
    ok i get it now thanks for all the time u just spent with me
    Last edited by Nate89; January 14th, 2005 at 04:12 AM.

No prob. I am going to bed now. U sure it is all clear?
    It is not completely clear for me, so.....
    I like to check a web site called shipgeek.com
    It is like a databse for CPU specs and chipset specs. That was one of my dream projects, to keep a databse with all that info. I used to know every CPU spec and Video card by memory. Now the market became too complicated to do that as a hobby.