Thread: Firefox's Search Engine box--top right corner of toolbar.

Firefox's Search Engine box--top right corner of toolbar.

The following is lifted from Firefox Central:

Add New Search Engines
    Firefox Search Box

Up in the top right corner of Firefox, there's a handy search box that puts search engines at your fingertips. When you download Firefox, a number of searches (like Google, Yahoo, and Ebay) are included but you can easily add more. There are literally hundreds of search engines available. The following are some of the most popular:

By default, the Search box lists, with its down arrow, Google, Yahoo, Amazon.com, Creative Commons, Dictionary.com and Ebay. There an additional item: add engines. Whichever one I click on gets its logo put up in the search box.

So if I want to use a particular engine, I click on it in the list and it gets put in the search box. But now how do I use that particular engine?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Titanium Member
    How?

Last edited by lynchknot; January 14th, 2005 at 18:57 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Wumply, once you've added a new search engine (by clicking the add engine link and following instructions), to use the new search engine, simply click the little icon which drops a menu, and then select the desired engine... then simply type your search query and press enter... and FFox will use the selected search engine

Great Example Lynchie

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Gotcha! Am all set. Thanks Cash_site. wumply

Hey Lynchknot:

Forgot to thank you also. I hadn't wholly grasped what you were telling me at first but it became clearer as I studied it.

But when I noticed how you had tons of icons across the Bookmark toolbar, A LIGHT FLASHED ON AND I read some more and learned how you had done that. It was (and is) so cool. Why? Because I had these 14 desktop shortcuts which, since I got Firefox, were all Firefox icons. Too much!!! Now the 14 icons (11 are colorful and pretty) are in a row in my bookmark toolbar appearing as the site intended. Smaller yes, but that's OK. And boy, are they quick to respond when I click on them.

So thank you very much! Without that example, I'd still be staring at 14 firefoxes on my desktop.