Thread: Suggestion on getting Firefox to let me keep favicons as desktop shortcuts

Suggestion on getting Firefox to let me keep favicons as desktop shortcuts

Every time I try, the site icon I want on my desktop (the shortcut) gets changed to the Firefox icon. Till I begin to conclude it isn't possible. If someone has figured out how I can do this, I would love to know how they did it. (I'm using XP with SP2 if that matters.)
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

agreed... i was wondering this the other day. i rarely use favorite icons for this reason..

i also cannot get firefox to always remember website icons (are they called favicons?) when saved in my favorites, or toolbar menus. it seems pretty random on when it wants to remember it and when it doesnt.

I used to be able to do this when I had XP and MSIE 6.x. And then for no reason I could ever figure out a day came when I couldn't do this any more with XP and MSIE. (I used to put the site in IE's Favorites and then drag it to my desktop and select "Create s/c here". When I got Firefox I tried it: the favicons (you're correct re what they are) appeared in the FF Bookmark list OK but when I dragged them to my desktop, they got replaced with the FF "fox on the world" icon. Uh...uh! Couldn't stand that.

So right now I have 14 icons worth of desktop space. I still have my favicons though but they are much smaller and all are in a row in the FF browser Bookmark toolbar across the top of my screen. 90% of the time they load beautifully quickly beingl in my browser.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak8022
    agreed... i was wondering this the other day. i rarely use favorite icons for this reason..

i also cannot get firefox to always remember website icons (are they called favicons?) when saved in my favorites, or toolbar menus. it seems pretty random on when it wants to remember it and when it doesnt.
    Are you using Firefox 1.0? Favicons are always present in mine.

Yes, I am using Firefox 1.0. I am able to get favicons in the Bookmarks Toolbar...no problem, but when I drag them from the Bookmarks list to my desktop, the favicons are consistently replaced by the FF icon. (I'm running XP with SP2.) I used to be able to drag favicons from MSIE 6.x's Favorites without problem, but then this stopped - I've no idea why. And a contact on the firefox use group found his favicons were replaced with the FF icon when he dragged themto his desktop. IDK.

I guess you're lucky.

I'm not being a smart-a** about this, but have you tried the FF support forums?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/

Yeah, I did try contacting forums://mozillazine.org but from a long series of communications, the upshot was that what I wanted to do could not be done. But I do thank you for your suggestion.

Websites store the favicon as (of course) /favicon.ico so if you look here http://www.techzonez.com/favicon.ico you will find the icon, you can download it somewhere if you want and assign the icon to the shortcut via the shortcut's properties sheet - 'web document' tab 'Change Icon' button.