Thread: LEGAL/PIRACY Question

LEGAL/PIRACY Question

I recently bought a copy of Win2000 Pro off eBay, expecting to receive a legitimate version with key. However I got an unmarked silver disk with a key scrawled on a bit of A4.
    I am thinking about reporting the seller to eBay/MS for piracy, but I have a question. People on Ebay are selling valid keys for software - the original sticker - with no CD. Others are selling valid CDs without any key. If one buys both you have legal software. Since the key is the legal bit, can I actually use this copied CDR of Win2000 if I buy an authentic key? I'm not worried about MS checking me, but want to keep my conscience clear.

Is this another 'grey area' or is there a black+white answer?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The only thing I know for sure about all of this is, I'd be real pissed if I bought an OS off eBay and they sent me a CD-R with "a key scrawled on a bit of A4".

I think you should contact the seller and get it straightened out, if not then report it to eBay and also leave negative feedback on the seller so others aren't ripped off.

Do you have a link to this eBay item ?

You licence the software from MS, therefore if you have a licence you are OK - the media is irrelevant. A disk - any disk even the original media - is not a licence and the orange key sticker is not a licence. A proper COA label represents a licence. Copied media is worth nada, you may as well download it free from bittorrent and burn it yourself.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    You licence the software from MS, therefore if you have a licence you are OK - the media is irrelevant. A disk - any disk even the original media - is not a licence and the orange key sticker is not a licence. A proper COA label represents a licence. Copied media is worth nada, you may as well download it free from bittorrent and burn it yourself.

So you still probably bought an illegal copy,since an illegal copy is a copy of an original COA media publication which was sold for money.Now you can still buy a license for it but your seller should have sent that to you.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    you may as well download it free from bittorrent and burn it yourself.
    Haha...not that you condone this!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Burning a downloaded version isnt the problem, as you can buy CD-R version media from M$ suppliers However, you legally aren't allowed to use it unless you purchase a COA license... and from what Curio suggests, is that just a CD-key is not a licence.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...128416653&rd=1

So buying this for instance would make My Win2000 legal, no matter how I have the media stored? I thought you used not to legally allowed to make a copy even as a backup? A COA sticker has the key for that license on it right?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...128416653&rd=1

So buying this for instance would make My Win2000 legal, no matter how I have the media stored? I thought you used not to legally allowed to make a copy even as a backup? A COA sticker has the key for that license on it right?
    That is correct. You are paying for the license (legitimate sticker with certificate of authenticity.) It usually is a sticker with the CD key, and a hologrammed printing of MICROSOFT all over the sticker.

If you didn't get that, contact the seller and try to fix it that way. Or else contact Microsoft directly and let them know. They can probably help.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

check that out to report the seller.

Yeah the seller was completely open about selling pirated goods but refused to refund me. I've contacted PayPal and Microsoft so we'll see what happens. I'd be happy with my money back but maybe I'll just buy a COA in which case the CD will be useful.
    Do people want to know how this progresses?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Do people want to know how this progresses?
    We sure do d000hg, keep us posted

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Yeah the seller was completely open about selling pirated goods but refused to refund me. I've contacted PayPal and Microsoft so we'll see what happens.
    My understanding is Microsoft will reward customers for turning in their pirates.

I'm sure the least they will do is give you a rebate on a new xp but o believe they also throw in some goodies.

please keep us updated so we know.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I hope people reading this will finally realise what the price of MS software is for it's not the disk or the key it's the COA label which licences you to use the product on 1 hard drive. XP COA labels do of course have the key on them as well but it's the licence bit you are paying for.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Sorry, reading this late. Actually the link you posted from eBay is also ilegal. It is a violation to MS EULA to sell an OEM COA, and it is consider piracy to MS
    OEM licenses (the COA sticked in PCs) are actually different, and are licensed to the specific PC. You can't even use the code with another PC same model. Should you ever have an audit from MS it is labeled inside the red tab (pirated copies) not even yellow which is unlicenced. COA is the Certificate of Authenticy, and it is not the license. It includes the key, but again it is not the licence. MS can know from the license number the license type.
    You can actually contact MS to get original version from them in exchange of that COA and key you got. I don't remember the link, but I read about it many times.
    Also, a bit of information that might help. MS licences can't be resold, unless thru authorized re-sellers. And you should suspect when it is cheap. XP home is a little less than 100, and XP pro a little less than 200.
    There might be a special case of someone selling a retail boxed version of XP for cheap (their loss) but that doesn't happen often and are lost in the sea in grey sells.
    That is one of the things that I would not buy on eBay. I buy a lot of stuff on ebay, including video games, but never one of those, because if it ends up being fake, who are you going to complain and get your money back to?

Interesting. So even if I can find a genuine, non-OEM COA, I can't buy it off someone? If it's not been registered though that's one situation I might consider saying "enough is enough" and bending the rules. Didn't know about the OEM rule.

Will post any updates. None so far though.