Thread: ram

Silver Member

ram

one question if u overclock ur ram but not te fsb does that do anything for ur system or not?

and what motherboards are compatable with ddr2 memory?

the reason i ask is because sometime in the future maybe the next couple months im going to upgrade to an athlon 64 so i was wanderin if it would be smart to find a motherboard that supports ddr2 or just get lets say like ddr4000
    just lookin for some advice from u guys on ur thoughts on everything so all comments are appriciated thanks
    Last edited by Nate89; January 18th, 2005 at 22:29 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    FG could qualify this, but I think the current versions of A64 chips and M/b dont support DDR2 ( this is left to Intel new 925 Chipset for 775 P4 Chips).

The defacto standard atm is DDR400 which A64 and P4 use. So, if you are planning on upgrading Chip and M/B in near future, and simply want to get some extra ram for current PC, then 2 sticks of quality DDR400 ram will be good value, dont worry if you current system only runs at DDR333 speed as the memory and bios will/should automatically set it up (DDR400 is backwards compatible).

Now, to answer your first question, o/c memory relative to CPU is sort of a case by case situation... ie you might get 3% increase while i only get 1%... however, the key to a fairly stable system is getting the CPU FSB and Memory to run at same speed (synchronised) If CPU is slower, then the memory has to wait for more data, and vica-versa... it could create a bottle neck.

Eg. sytem running at 200CPU and 200Memory, could possible run better than a 190/210 combo

FastGame has a great O/C guide which you could read just to get an idea of the meaning etc.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    so i should just get ddr 3200 instead of ddr4000 or something like that?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    cash_site is correct, AMD doesn't do DDR 2

PQI makes excellent ram but I don't think the model you link to is their best, think the more expensive PC 4000 is.

You want Crucial Ballistix PC 3200/4000 or any of These

FastGame has a great O/C guide which you could read just to get an idea of the meaning etc.
    Here-http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...9&postcount=19
    Last edited by FastGame; January 19th, 2005 at 12:04 PM.

The memory article is great, good insight into varying levels of chip performance for the 939 platform... it seems the only logical upgrade path to take, as the 754 "doesnt scale very well"

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    yes and it seems that geil would be a really good choice for memory too...but damn thats exspensive GLX1GB3200DC 262 at newegg
    Last edited by Nate89; January 20th, 2005 at 02:01 AM.

Yes expensive, but the value of good ram will show when everyone else has BSOD and you are making 100FPS on Doom3 Also, it can be transferred to newer more powerful PC in near future

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---