Thread: A Network cable is disconnected

A Network cable is disconnected

Sometimes when I cannot connect to the internet, this subject mesage pops up from the systray. Now at other times when I can't connect, I find I need to recycle my modem. In that case, I don't get any messages. (It'd be nice if a pop-up would say "recycle modem".)

1. But when one uses the term "network cable" does that include the cable from the connection from the box just outside my house to my modem and on to my router and on to my computer? In other words just where does the "network cable" stop from the internet to my computer?

2. If you get the subject messsage and your ISP says all is well in and out from their servers, and recycling the modem has not helped, then this is the point where you begin to think in terms of trying a new modem or a new router or a new cable between modem and router or between router and tower? There's no other way to pinpoint where the problem is other than try this...try that?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Just quickly, a network cable is disconnected message means that the Cable from your Computer to your Modem/Router/Switch etc has either slipped out, or the modem has been turned off, or Network card is disabled...

Now, in your case it sounds like a Modem issue since you can fix the disconnected cable by recyling your modem... Check if your modem has a time-out feature, say after 20mins of non-use it will automatically turn off...

I would look carefully at your settings first, then if modem is Faulty, you can look into a new one.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

But sometimes I've waited an hour or so, believing the message referred to a connection somewhere between a some place on the net and my modem. I've not even recycled the model or touched anything. And I return to find that I can get online easily and that this condition hold for days, even weeks. This still means something is (or was and self-corrected) between my modem-route-switch and my computer.

But if say some cable was somehow disconnected at my ISP's place of business, the only way I could determine this would be with a phone call to them?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    This has nothing to do with your ISP, it's the physical connection between your LAN card and your modem. There's something wrong or loose with either the card or the cable or the modem or it could be driver/OS related.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I also was getting that message randomly until I had my router replaced. It might not be the issue with yours but there are other problems with this being generated randomly because of XP SP2. Next time this happens try this Command line winsock reset: Netsh winsock reset.
    After that you may also have to reinstall TCP/IP and reset your modem.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Thread moved.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

rik or anyone:

I find I need some instruction on where/how to enter a command line and on reinstalling TCP/IP. Can you tell me how I do those things or refer me to some instructions?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I can tell you how to enter a command line:

Click start.

Click run.

then in that window type:
    cmd

then you are in a command window.

Then you can use commands as you see fit.

You can use Winsock XP fix http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html saves a load of typing and syntax errors.