Thread: Surround sound problem

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Surround sound problem

I didn't know if to post this on Hardware, software, drivers, or Windows XP
    Lets see, recently I touched a little around the PC and I can't get the sound to play right
    I have a Asus A7N8X deluxe version 2. I have 2 sets of 2.1 speakers, so I have one set connected to the front audio, and another set conected to the back.
    If I to to the Nvidia nForce Control Panel and set it to 4 speakers, I run the test tone, and everything is more or less fine, just that the sound volume doesn't seem to be at the same level, but I can fix that from the volume knob on each set. The problem is that when I play for example POP warrior Within I cna't get the sound from the rear speakers to work, and it actually sounds funny. Like I am not hearing the whole sound. Also, the sound seems to be delayed quite a bit. I played with the sound settings inside the game and I had no luck. I remember I used to have this problem before, but I don't remember how I fixed it.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    It could be a variety of things Dehc, first ensure that All speakers are actually connected together correctly... do you plug the Sub into the PC, then the 2speakers into the Sub?... Can you control the 2speaker sounds from the Sub?

Then ensure that the Soundcard is set to use 4Speaker or Quadraphonic or surround Mode... not just select to test if it works, but that the system actually uses the settings...

Also, you could check the sound settings for the speakers, in terms of Balance Left/Right, Fading Front/Rear, but also Cross-Over Frequency (what sounds are played by the Sub and what are played by the 2speakers)

Could it be a driver issue?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I have updated my drivers. IT sounds crispier the music, but still the same problem.
    When I play MP3 it seems fine. Most of my MP3 are 192 Kbps. I can hear the sound from all the speakers.
    It is from programs like DVD player or Prince of Persia that use the surround sound that I see the difference. I don't know what they try to access that it is different.
    I will try to update my chipset drivers all complete, not just the audio drivers.
    To complete the info, I have BostonBA635 for my front speaker set up. It is a 2 satelite with a Subwofer. The volume is controlled thru one of the satelite. The rear set is a Gaming Edge system that I got for free after rebates with my gamecube. IT is actuallt a pretty good system. Less power, but it has 2 mini speakers and a sub too. Volume controlled from the sub

im guessing this is onboard soundcard, are they settings in the BIOS that sets the configuration of the ports?

Can you do a directx diag check on the sound? It sounds like a surround channel issue, ie trying to play different sounds to different channels, rather than with music you play all music through all 4 speakers.

How about in the actual games/progs you use, is there a sound config, just try stereo setting instead of surround, etc etc not EAX or AC3 etc

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Got it fix. I was in NForce 3. something and the latest is 5.10. Weird, because for audio I had installed 4.57 (thought now shows 4.42 in the mixer) but the mixer is different and actually it works
    Had to install the drivers twice, because the Nvidia IDE drivers crashed my system. I still have a weird problem with the sound during the Prince Of Persia WW to be too low, so if I max the volume is OK, but the in-movies then are TOOOO LOUD, but I can live with that. I have quadraphonic sound again, and I am happy TKS

So it was a driver issue... Hmm... could you try disabling the on-board sound and try out a Sb .live card, just to see if it makes a difference?

In game movies, bah, just press ESC, i hate having to wait for games to load... BF1942 was the worst... lol, gave me enough time for coffee and cake too!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

the problem is that i like the movies, and in most of the games I like a lot, movies are a vital part of them, because I play the games for the story.
    I had a SB Audigy, and I sold it, because the NForce2 has the same level. Just some things are a bit picky, but otherwise it wouldn't be my PC
    I am still unsure about the difference in level for the drivers. I am wondering if maybe I had by mistake installed the drivers from the Update (MS) web site and actually downgraded at some point.