Thread: computer not recorgnizing external hard drive

computer not recorgnizing external hard drive

I have a maxtor onetouch 200 gig external hard drive which is no longer recorgnized by the usb port on my computer I've tried switching cables and and ports but the system still doesn't see it ..... any suggestions?
    Sig removed.

Please read the Forum Rules

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Have you tried a System Restore back to when it was recognized?

Great Idea!!!!....tried it and it didn't work...
    Sig removed.

Silver Member
    just a thought here maybe somehow a cable came unplugged inside or a connection isnt fully conecting right....if all else fails u can always kick it

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    before attempting to fix it in your computer you should take the external drive and try it at a computer shop or friends place.

computershop is best cause if they think you might buy their computer they can and will suggest reasons why it won't work

things like sp1 or even updating to sp2 can cause weird things.

if it works at your friends or in a store then we can offer suggestions to fix your computer

good luck
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Silver Member
    im stickin with my idea of kickin it but ur idea sounds good too

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    trivially, ensure the power to the HD is turned on, and also ensure that your USB ports are enabled...

Now, ensure you have Chipset for USb drivers installed, check for updated drivers from the Motherboard manufacturer as they might have changed for SP2, do you have SP2 installed on XP??

I would follow EggHead's Advice, try the drive out on another PC at mate's place or at computer shop... Do you actually require the Maxtor Software to be installed to make use of the One-Touch feature?? Try re-installing the software...

Finally, but unlikely since you have tried different USB ports, it could be a faulty cable or USB port either on the HD itself or on your PC... so, yes, Nate's suggestion might work... BUT dont kick it, just wiggle the cable around and see if it gets a conneciton... I do this to my USB Flash stick as the front USB ports wear out from continually inserting and removing the device

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Silver Member
    lol thanks for the backup there cash site i knew my advice would work

I tried the firewire port and it works, so I quess its the usb port on the drive that doesn't work "is that able to be fixed" anyway thanks for the help....
    Sig removed.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sticknmove
    I tried the firewire port and it works, so I quess its the usb port on the drive that doesn't work "is that able to be fixed" anyway thanks for the help....
    Whoa, hang on a sec... so The external HD uses a Firewire Cable to connect to PC?? Well, Firewire and USB are different plugs all together, and are not compatible... you didnt force the Firewire plug into the USB port did you??
    Please tell me that the external HD case actually has both USB and Firewire ports.

In any event, glad u got it working, external Drives are very handy

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---