Thread: help Geforce 4 ****

Angry help with Geforce 4

help my please

can sombody give me advise?
    just don't say
    "buy a new grapich card" I don't have budget

I have the latest driver on winxp pro and the picture is what I get when I run my games
    In addition I can ask Nvidia to help my because I've bought my geforce in Isreal and haven't got costumer care number.
    Last edited by ilyail3; January 23rd, 2005 at 10:50 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Go here http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13615 and get Driver Cleaner, read the directions and try a different set of drivers.

What driver # are you using now ? What video card do you have, Geforce 4 **** what ?

sorry for that but I'm mad at him he stucks every time I try to play generals zh or sid ... pirates right now I have driver version 66.93 and I've alrady tried to clean(using the tool) and reinstall it I have Inno3D geforce 4 440 mx.

Talking tnks anyway

I've solved the problem, if you have Inno 3d geforce 4 440mx don't install sp2

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Well that's a bitch.

I wouldn't accept that as an answer, SP2 is essential!

I have a geforce 4 mx running on SP2 no problem, on the old v5.61 original drivers, never had a problem.

Installing SP2 is necessary if you're on XP (or SP4 for win2k, for that matter) - its as simple as that. So that's not an answer.
    Also, remember that nVidia has links with MS and obviously make all efforts to see that their drivers work fine in all circumstances.

I'd say this was because:
    1. SP2 upgrades nV driver version to 56.61.
    2. Its never a good idea to do an OS upgrade. It leaves lot of dead files lying around and conflicts and crap like that. Always slip-stream your SP into your windows CD, and then clean-install. This will also ensure that you don't waste disk space on backed-up old files, plus SP2 will be pre-installed and protect you right from the start.

If you want to know, I have a geForce MX440 as well. XPSP2 (clean-install) worked straight away - without needing drivers for it (SP1 used to need the drivers). But still, since the integrated driver was an old version, I upgraded to the current version (66.93), and it still works fine. All games run well, and any games that won't run is only because they want directX9 support (which is only present in the FX5___ series and above).
    Cheers !!!

Question

I've used sp2 for almost half a year and except less spyware I didn't see no diference.
    maybe if I wouldn't update my geforce 4 driver I could use it, but to my those updates are much more necessary that sp2. I have spyaware against spywares and mcafee firewall and antiviruse. can you give my a link of how sp2 helps you?
    Win xp sp2 is ful of bugs the only reason I've tried to remove sp2 is because my friend said that he didn't install sp2 because it slowed down his downloads.
    anyway I don't want to install it back because my games works now but I wan't to see why it's so essential to install it.
    Last edited by ilyail3; January 25th, 2005 at 03:44 AM.

In another few months, as all new hotfixes need atleast SP2, and SP1 gets badly exploited by hackers, you will see how tiresome it is.

And you can update your geforce driver and use it perfectly fine as said above!

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.
    Cheers !!!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilyail3
    maybe if I wouldn't update my geforce 4 driver I could use it, but to my those updates are much more necessary that sp2.
    Thats the wrong way to look at things, I'll tell you why.

Driver enhancements/optimizations for your video card ended long before SP2 came out. There's absolutely no gain for your video card by upgrading your drivers. Nvidia doesn't even program any improvements into its latest drivers for your card, they only make sure that the drivers are compatible with older cards. Newer drivers have instructions for the newer cards plus instructions that older cards use, the older cards ignore any instructions they can't use.

SP2 contains many things, among them are bug fixes, addressing compatibility woes and security issues. Even if a person doesn't need the bug fixes of SP2 they sure need the security issues fixed, the least a person could do if they don't want SP2 is make sure they have all the M$ security updates installed.

Can the M$ security issues (that have fixes) be addressed without SP2 ?

One thing is certain, you can do a search on SP2 and come up with a bunch of good things about SP2, do a search on the improvements the Nvidia 66.93 drivers give a "geForce MX440" and you'll probably come up with nothing.....

Find a set of drivers that work and make sure your M$ securities issues are taken care of, thats about the best one can do at this point

thanks. But since I have fairly old grapich card I need those updates to run new games at their best. every little change in the driver contributes to the quality I get especially because the card isn't new.

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    What's this about SP2 being buggy and unstable?

This is total bullshit, SP2 is the most stable version of Windows ever released.

I won't have anyone bad mouth Windows SP2, it's a flawless update, for me, a (silent update), all my programs and applications, both new and old have worked just as well as they did on SP1 with no noticeable difference.

It's how you install SP2 that makes the difference, i install SP2 at fresh boot, just after Windows XP has been installed on my machine and no other programs or applications have been installed other then Windows.

Slip-streaming your Windows XP installation disc is probably doing one better, but i can never be bothered, it sounds too complicated to me.

If anyone installs SP2 over an already existing Windows installation that isn't less then 1 hour old, then you are fools, upgrades hardly ever work, fresh install is the only way, especially regarding Windows.

Did you do a fresh install of Windows before you installed SP2 ilyail3?
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; January 25th, 2005 at 09:11 AM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GimieGimieGimie
    Slip-streaming your Windows XP installation disc is probably doing one better, but i can never be bothered, it sounds too complicated to me.
    It's all automated with this great app nLite:

http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html

You need .Net to be installed for it to work. This is how I create my Slipstreamed discs plus additional tweaks like slipstreaming drivers and removing Windows bloat.
    Last edited by Conan; January 25th, 2005 at 10:54 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    It's all automated with this great app nLite:

http://nuhi.msfn.org/download.html

You need .Net to be installed for it to work. This is how I create my Slipstreamed discs plus additional tweaks like slipstreaming drivers and removing Windows bloat.
    I did mine the old fashioned way.. nothing like hands on with Nero. The guide is listed on the front page of TZ:

http://www.techzonez.com/modules.php...ion=show&id=17

Rather lengthy but then you learn the process in a more hands on approach.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    I did mine the old fashioned way.. nothing like hands on with Nero. The guide is listed on the front page of TZ:

http://www.techzonez.com/modules.php...ion=show&id=17

Rather lengthy but then you learn the process in a more hands on approach.
    I did that manual method before with SP1, but with nLite you can remove automatic driver installs for your Video Card, remove System File Protection, enable UX Theme Patch automatically while installing Windows, the list of improvements/tailoring you can do is quite long.

nLite is a good option which allows you to do a lot of things! Check it out ilyail3.
    If you'd rather do it manually, se BB's link above or these:
    1. http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295
    2. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

Slip-stream SP2 and install XP - and you will see it functioning good.
    Cheers !!!