Thread: Hard Drive Image Backup

Hard Drive Image Backup

Does anyone have or know of any free software that backs up your hard drive as a Hard Drive Image.

It depends.
    Not even the commercial ones support all hard disk sub-systems. G4U can do what you ask, Partimage or dd can do it and they are all Gnu. Drive Snapshot http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/down.htm offer a 30 day fully functional trialware product, how it would know if you changed the BIOS clock I don't know. Commercial ones include Acronis TrieImage which is always being given away on a magazine coverdisk somewhere not free but very cheap and very good. TI doesn't support Dynamic Disks though - boo. R-Drive image is cheap-ish and also doesn't support Dynamic Disks - booo - but does run on server OS and backup live system - hooray!! Norton Ghost and Powerquest Drive Image (now same thing) also do imaging and have a bit of support for Dynamic Disks but a bit crap with unusual-ish disks like SATA raid and not cheap.

thanks

It gets better - go to www.acronis.com/mag/pcplus and you can register your free copy of Acronis TrueImage Deluxe (I know you haven't got it - yet). Remember the login details you supply. You will get a confirmation email with a link to activate then the next email will contain your serial code for ACTI Deluxe. Go back to Acronis.com and go to the support/product updates page. Login and download the last build of ACTI deluxe - you now have some great software for free and a registration code for it.

This is probably just an evaluation copy. My email from them said:

We sent an e-mail to you with serial number for Acronis True Image Deluxe. Please check your e-mail box.

To take advantage of all the features in Acronis True Image, you can purchase Verson 7.0 for just $39.99 (20% off)
    ========================

Differences between trial and full version:

* 15 days trial version;
    * Only the full version enables restoring of images of a system partition (click here to purchase the full version);
    * Only the full version allows you to create and restore images, and clone disks when Acronis True Image 8.0 is launched from the bootable rescue media (click here to purchase the full version).

The trial version of this software is intended only to show how the software works and its user interface. It is a limited-functionality demo.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    TrueImage is very good software, i think the latest version even supports incremental backup and restoration

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    It kind-of does, but I've had little success with it.

The best feature in my books is fact that you can boot your PC into recovery mode without even using a a boot disk! Quick and easy and great for multiple PCs!

Read My Post

The second email contains your registration key.
    Go to Acronis.com to support/updates and download Acronis True Image Deluxe - it is the full version - you will need the login and password you provided in the registration. Although it is a couple of years old it is a full legal copy and works just fine you can do live backups etc... works with XP, 2000 etc...

If you are not familiar with imaging programs the biggest tip I can give you is always verify the image after it is created, there is nothing worse than needing to restore an image only to find it is corrupted.

On the front of incremental backups only the latest versions support this and you can set it up as a scheduled task. It works very well, thanks.
    Did I mention that you should verify the image?

Always verify the image.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Dont forget that verified images can still become corrupt (it happened to me!) so a copy on optical media might be more reliable