Thread: Remote desktop connection

Remote desktop connection

Hey all
    Finally found the forum to post my question.

I have enabled remote desktop connection on my home laptop and trying to connect from my work PC.

Home laptop (host)
    - XP pro, RDC enabled, wirelessly connected to lynksys router.

Work PC (client)
    - Win2000. installed RDC

Ok the problem is i am able to remotely connect to laptop from my home pc ie both are in same LAN.

but when i try to connect it from work using same IP it doesnt connect. it shows error message :

The client could not connect to the remote computer.
    Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.
    Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator

Also i am able to Remotely connect to one of other PC (XP) at work from my PC (Win 2000).

Does anyone know whats wrong???

What is port forwarding and how to do it??

I think window firewall auto enable 3389 for RDC!

and last but not least:

what is difference between Remote Desktop connection and Remote desktop web connection and which one is better..

i would really appreciate help

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Hey love2rules. Welcome to TZ.

Chances are, the IP you connect to inside your lan is a local IP. Try visiting http://www.whatismyip.com to find your external IP. Use this IP when connecting from work.

If you are connecting from a Win 2000 machine you need to download the RDC Client from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx).

Make sure that you open port 3389 on your router and forward it to the local IP of the machine you want to connect to remotely. This is necessary as each port can only be used for one function so if you had another PC that you wanted to RDC to, you would have to change the default port to something else!

The difference between RDC and Remote Desktop Web Connection is (basically) that the latter can operate from within a webpage. Easier than installing the client listed above if you are not on your own work PC.

Hope this helps!

Thank you star

It does make sense and clear up many things. Although i got few more questions if u get a chance let me know.

1. I do have 2 computer at home and i would like to access both from work or anywhere else. So can i forward one port to 2 didfferent internal IPs? I dont think i can have different ports for different IPs. OR maybe i can specify port # at the time of connection to point to particular IP (e.g IP addort #)

2. Is there any way to avoid port forwarding. if I know external IP (of router) and internal IP of a specific computer can i still connect? because i dont know what (what kind of router/proxy)my company has at work and i cant do port forwarding as i can at home.

Thank you

You are being a great help

1) i beleive you would have to change the RDC port on one of your home computers. and obviously make sure the ports are forwarded to their respective computers. the trick is how to change the RDC port # on a machine. honestly, i dont know how to to it, tho i am pretty sure its possible. someone else will likely be able to elaborate.

2) no. when the connection comes to your home router on port 5555 (just an example) it needs to know what LAN IP to forward it to. there is never any dialog between the router and you sitting at your desk. well, not in teh sense you are questioning. if you dont have access/ability to forward ports, i dont know how u would be able to conenct to your work computer from your home. tho, thats not to say its impossible, there's always a way. i just dont know it... lol. agian, someone else may be able to elaborate.

The instructions for changing the RDC port can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q306759 It's a simple registry modification. I've used this as I have two DIFFERENT PCs at home that I connect to.

What Zak is saying is perfectly true (and possible). You just pick a port that is not in use...say 3390...and change it on the local machine. Providing that that port is not being blocked at your workplace, you shouldn't have any problems connecting. Just be sure that in RDC you type in the address in this format external-ip : local-port.

Thanks guys

It's been great help in understanding this whole concept.

thanks again

c ya around

No probs. Hope you stick around

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar