Thread: Dell's Sleazy Shipping Policies

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Dell's Sleazy Shipping Policies

I have just come across a very sleazy practice from Dell. A coworker had a need for a cheap bare bones PC without a monitor or speakers. I looked at a Dimension 2400 for her and was able to price out a PC for $399.00 before a $100.00 mail-in rebate. After the mail-in rebate, that would bring the end cost of the PC to $299.00 plus shipping and handling. Cool, this should be exactly what was needed. After trying to order it, the cost was going to be approx $505 before the mail-in rebate.

Their shipping and handling was going to be $99.00 (for the cheapest shipping option available). Since I am very familiar with the approx. cost of what it takes to ship one of these computers, UPS I thought it had to be a Web site error. Calling to find out she was told that the $99.00 for shipping and handling was correct. If she wanted a better shipping rate she had to order a PC that cost more than $500.00.

To me this behavior is reprehensible and inexcusable. I feel they are misrepresenting the cost of their computers by hiding the cost in the shipping and handling.

http://channels.lockergnome.com/wind...handling.phtml

Interesting. I think it is a bit much to charge more for a system for shipping just because the system itself is cheaper.. is a cheaper system heavier? Is the handling procedure more involved than a more expensive unit? What a farce.

hrm.. very interesting indeed. i bet some people would just say to wait for the free shipping deals... except those are usually limited to certain pc's as well.

that does suck.. but i still prefer Dell computers over anything else (except ones i build myself )

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    It does sound dodgy, but sometimes big companies can subsidise shipping with expensive goods as profit margins are bigger

Delivery fee, just an extra cost for PC, and really should be taken into account when making purchase... i agree with zak in that there are usually some free shipping deals going round

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I think it is shady and a lot of companies including E-Machine that had come a long way in quality and price, are doing today.Now you see the ads say $499 and for 256mb ram, intergrated graphics and no monitor.Shipping and handling extra and around $100.Then there is the 100 plus dollars for an extended warranty.I know a woman that ordered a Dell laptop and it came with a dvd player/cdrom and no floppy.She had been used to saving her text files and putting them on floppy.Nice enough notebook but, come on,standard equipment on any computer today should be a cdrw.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

zipp, i am very surprised that it didnt have a cd burner. almost every pc i have seen in the past couple months has had one on it. i can understand not having a floppy drive... those are pretty much useless (shit i didnt put one in my pc i built last year) but u have to have something to save files to externally.

i'm a big fan of Zip drives for everyday use. tho, i havent used mine since i got out of school. my office doesnt have one, and i really dont feel like moving my drive back and forth with me between home and office.