Thread: Help Upgrading

Help Upgrading

Hello, i have a Dell 2350, and the motherboard doest support any PCI or AGP video cards. I would like to Get a New MotherBoard and a new video card so i can play The Matrix Online when it comes out. The Problem is that i dont know what motherboard i could buy, because all i want to do is take out my current motherboard and put in a new one that supports AGP video cards, the im going to transwer everything i have on my current motherboard to the new one, so the new motherboard has to be compatible with all my current stuff. I have been tryin to upgrade it but i dont know what motherboard to buy, i have hard people say that my case only supports MicroATX motherboards, could someone please give me a hand.

System: Pentium 4 1.80GHZ, Memory=768MB Ram PC2100, Hard Drive=60GB, Windows XP Home Edition Service pack 2,
    Power Supply 200W,
    System Chip set(is this my current motherboard?) Intel 845GL

Thank You.

Silver Member
    are you going to try to overclock or anything? because if not u can just look for a mid level board that doesnt come with anything special and doesnt cost too much...for instance FOXCONN "845GV4MR-ES" i845GV Chipset Motherboard For Intel Socket 478 CPU that is assuming ur processor is a skt 478 since u did not say....another option would be though....if you had the money tojust upgrade everything u would notice an increase in everything upgrading the processor and the ram would bring about a huge speed increase then u would also have to purchase another power supply...but thats only if u have the money
    Last edited by Nate89; January 25th, 2005 at 20:40 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I think you should upgrade everything. A 1.8 processor is quite old.

Silver Member
    yes i agree with u conan it would be the smartest thing to do

Silver Member
    but it all depends on what he wants to do and if he wants to upgrade...how much hes willing to spend before we can help him out

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    That PC takes a Micro ATX board, ASUS makes a good one. You won't be able to use your Dell recovery disk if you change boards so I hope you have Win XP.

You also need to check the back of your case, sometimes (don't know about Dell 2350) the case doesn't have an opening for a AGP card to port out.

Silver Member
    asus yes would be good but that computer is just so old i still say he should just upgrade everything

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    asus yes would be good but that computer is just so old i still say he should just upgrade everything
    True, but until badboydavidxp responds that he has the money to do this upgrade I'm not going to try and introduce him to the wonderful world of AMD

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i agree with Conan. and he might be socket 423. if that is the case he will not find an easy solution.

However, he can buy a new case and put an old socket 423 agp board or upgrade to a newer socket 478 motherboard and cpu.

Remember that you can still use your old hard drive and memory.

your power supply is to small.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

You may be able to buy a barebones that provides a new case, power supply, motherboard, cup, memory, hard drive and sometimes a cdrw for less that you could buy a new motherboard, cpu and power supply separately.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    True, but until badboydavidxp responds that he has the money to do this upgrade I'm not going to try and introduce him to the wonderful world of AMD
    yes amd so much cheaper for the same amount of processing power what more could come of this world