Thread: Locating the XP Control Panel folder and Network Connections files

Locating the XP Control Panel folder and Network Connections files

Hi,
    I have a newbie question hope some expert can help.

Anyone know where the Control Panel folder is located in XP?
    I mean the folder path? It seems to be located in "My Computer" folder after I make it visible in the "folders option" but when I open an application file that I want to use with programs in the Control Panel, the Control Panel folder cannot be found. It appears to be inaccessible through third party applications.

If you've read this far , maybe you can answer my question more specifically: the internet connection files inside the Control Panel/Network Connection folder path, what kind of files are they? Are they *.exe, *.dll, what? And how do I locate them in a "search file" ? Where are these files stored ? Thanks.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    The control panel as a folder, doesn't really exist as far as I can tell. It simply collates the .cpl files that reside on your system (normally c:\windows\system32\) and displays them in a useable format.

Try doing a search for *.cpl on you c:\ drive and see the results!

Oh..and by the way...welcome to TZ!

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    The control panel as a folder, doesn't really exist as far as I can tell. It simply collates the .cpl files that reside on your system (normally c:\windows\system32\) and displays them in a useable format.

Try doing a search for *.cpl on you c:\ drive and see the results!

Oh..and by the way...welcome to TZ!

Hi, thx. No wonder I cannot find the folder using an application outside of windows xp. Maybe this will be an
    interesting question for you. I'm running the Sockscap on windows and if you are familiar with that program, you can add application programs to it and run them through sockscap. The process is called "socksifying". Instead of having to look for each and every *.exe program to put into sockscap, I was trying to find the root control program for network connections- those programs located in the Network Connections folder of Control Panel if you know what I'm talking about. You know, the one that you log into your ISP with. Unfortunately I can't locate these connection programs. And I'm not sure if these are even *.exe programs which would make my task a waste of time.

Platinum+ Member
    Are you able to view the control panel normally?
    If not, this might help - Maybe ur control panel icons were removed or files corrupted this way by some program :
    You can check to see if any of the below was done or not to ur computer (I dont know much about the CSLID folders and stuf in the reg so I cant say if it wud be wise to mess with those.)

"A simple way to remove Control Panel icons in Windows XP or Windows 2000 is to use the Group Policy editor: Choose Start, Run, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter. Use the tree on the left to navigate to Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel. With Control Panel selected in the left pane, double-click Hide specified Control Panel applets in the right pane. In the dialog box, select Enabled on the Policy tab and click the Show button. In the Show Contents dialog box, click Add (see FIGURE 1). Type the name of any applet icon as it appears in Control Panel and click OK.

Repeat these last two steps for each icon you want to remove. When you've entered the names of all the icons you want to remove, double-check your spelling in the Show Contents dialog box. If you change your mind about an item, select it and click Remove to take it off the list. Then click OK twice. This technique works for any Control Panel icon--even those added by non-Microsoft applications--but not for XP's category icons."
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,97440,00.asp - article
    Last edited by tarun; January 27th, 2005 at 18:00 PM.

corrupted

Quote Originally Posted by tarun
    Are you able to view the control panel normally?
    If not, this might help - Maybe ur control panel icons were removed or files corrupted this way by some program :
    You can check to see if any of the below was done or not to ur computer (I dont know much about the CSLID folders and stuf in the reg so I cant say if it wud be wise to mess with those.)

"A simple way to remove Control Panel icons in Windows XP or Windows 2000 is to use the Group Policy editor: Choose Start, Run, type gpedit.msc, and press Enter. Use the tree on the left to navigate to Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel. With Control Panel selected in the left pane, double-click Hide specified Control Panel applets in the right pane. In the dialog box, select Enabled on the Policy tab and click the Show button. In the Show Contents dialog box, click Add (see FIGURE 1). Type the name of any applet icon as it appears in Control Panel and click OK.

Repeat these last two steps for each icon you want to remove. When you've entered the names of all the icons you want to remove, double-check your spelling in the Show Contents dialog box. If you change your mind about an item, select it and click Remove to take it off the list. Then click OK twice. This technique works for any Control Panel icon--even those added by non-Microsoft applications--but not for XP's category icons."
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,97440,00.asp - article
    Appears lot of my command files are corrupted, I have
    to reinstall my os I think.