Thread: They Keep Coming Back!

They Keep Coming Back!

I'm running Windows XP. I use Norton Antivirus and the new Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta software as well as Adware SE. AntiSpyware runs every morning at 4:00. Norton every Friday morning. Every morning I have Altnet TopSearch installed in my registry. Every morning I remove it. Microsoft Internet Explorer is disabled in all three profiles on the computer. We only use Firefox as a browser. I've searched and searched and can't find where this thing is originating from on the computer!

Added to that, under my son's profile, MyWay Search Bar and KeenValue Perfect New Browser Hijacker tries to install each time you enter his profile. AntiSpyware catches it and identifies it, but it's the same, every time...

Suggestions out there from someone more knowledgeable than myself...

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Are you running KaZaA ??

If you are,follow the removal instructions here
    Last edited by Reverend; January 26th, 2005 at 14:44 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

No, I'm not running KaZaA. I deleted that quite a while ago.

Have you tried Spybot Search and Destroy ?

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Been there and have done that. Found out something else very interesting today too. Running scans of the various software to detect problems on your computer--only work within that profile you're running in. I have a profile, my wife has one and so does my son. This afternoon I finally ran Microsoft AntiSpyware in each of their profiles and in each of theirs, came up with a long long list of spyware that was present! I've disabled Internet Explore every which way in all three profiles, but in my son's, each time you boot up his profile, AntiSpyware identifies two different spyware programs (MyWay Search Bar for Internet Explorer and KeenValue Perfect Nav Browser Hijacker) that are trying to download onto the computer! Every time.
    All the firewalls and disabling you do with software just doesn't seem to stop them...

Have you looked in Add/Remove for the following entries My Search Bar, Search Assistant - My Search and My Way Speedbar and Fun Web Products Easy Installer.
    Last edited by Reverend; January 26th, 2005 at 21:27 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 67USMC05
    No, I'm not running KaZaA. I deleted that quite a while ago.
    most p2p software includes hidden spyware that loades on startup waiting to download the latest adware programs to track your surfing habits.

It is possible that someone has instaled another peer to peer program like winmx, bearshare etc......

My friends children can't stop looking for the latest mp3 albums on p2p networks ans she has put a block on her computer so that everytime she restarts it restores the computer to a specific configuration and all files saved installed or downloaded are deleted and all infection are stopped in their tracks.
    you might also need to configure firefox to disable java as we have noticed that spyware can still get into your system by using java exploits
    good luck
    ------------------------------------------------------------