Thread: Win Media Player / Video Clip Blocked

Win Media Player / Video Clip Blocked

Hello-

When I try to load a vid clip on Mom's new Dell Dimension 8400 3.4 GHz, 1GB with Windows Media Player Ver 10, I receive the following two error messages, courtesy of Win XP SP2:

1. Windows has blocked this software becuase it cannot verify the publisher
    Name: sg726acm.cab
    Publisher: unknown publisher

I follow the help banner and:
    IE->Tools->Internet->Content->Publisher
    and try to import the video clip, but this doesn't work, apparently becuase the publisher / certificate aren't recognized.

2. An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help.

NOTE: Problem occurs with .ASF files, but .AVI files seem to work fine. Suggestions for resolving these two errors would be appreciate since I am unable to watch the video clip on this computer.

Thx.

Scott
    Last edited by smartin22; December 26th, 2004 at 02:44 AM.
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

I think maybe your Internet Sercurity Settings are too high or the firewall has been set to block such files and or you are missing the codec. The Windows Media Players are famous for its lack of codecs. Go to player options and set the player to automatically update certificates and automatically search for missing codecs. If its a codec problem, http://www.free-codecs.com has most of the codecs that you'll need.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Let us know if/how you get this worked out.

Re: Win Media Player 10 & Win XP SP2

So far now luck; I downloaded the codec files and verified player was set to download CODECs automatically. Where might I find setting to automatically updated certificates? Thx for your time and help; I appreciate it.

Go to player options and set the player to automatically update certificates and automatically search for missing codecs.
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Problem Resolved: Needed the correct CODEC

Problem solved. Basically had to find the right CODEC, which was found by searching for the publisher: sg726acm.cab

Correct site from which to download the CODEC is referenced below.

http://codecs.microsoft.com/codecs/i386/sg726acm.cab

Note: I had downloaded several CODECs before and they failed to resolve the problem until I found that above.

Thanks.

Scott

Hello, I found you because of this particular thread - I have Media Player 10, and it is set to update codecs automatically. Also my Internet security levels have been reset in order to allow me to see the video of my youngest granddaughter that is currently being blocked. I am certain that this is still a wretched Codec problem - the problem is I do not know what to do with the file that I have downloaded as advised by your members above. Can someone advise me

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lizb
    the problem is I do not know what to do with the file that I have downloaded as advised by your members above. Can someone advise me
    Use a small program called GSpot which will determine what codecs are needed to play the file and will inform you if they are installed or not on your system.

● Establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file.
    ● Determines whether these codecs are installed on your system.
    ● Isolates problems associated with these codecs.
    ● Simple operation - Basic use: "File > Open", then read results
    ● Identifies download induced problems (truncated files, "cooked" files, etc.)
    ● Shows framerate, duration, aspect ratio, bitrates, AVI structure info, and more.
    ● Displays and allows editing of RIFF info (title, etc); displays "hidden" ASCII info.

Download: GSpot 2.21

View: GSpot homepage

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Angry

Hi and thank you, I downloaded the gspot program and ran it to get this, I do not really understand what it all means except that for some weird reason my new computer (bells whistles and cost a packet) won't do what my old lowly computer would cos Microsoft won't allow mw to do this, run that or even see videos of my elderly and far distant relatives and my small granddaughter, which is absolutely devastating. What I got from your program is included below - part of the problem may well be that the new beastie is a 64 bit monster, but surely having set things up so that I can downloas and save attachment files from trusted sources, my computer ought to do what I tell it too without Microsoft telling me I can no longer do that?

DirectShow partially succeeded to play file. The actual text of the error or warning is:

0x00040242: VFW_S_PARTIAL_RENDER - Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format.

The following combination of filters were used:

{C:\Documents and Sett..-..hristening\MOL001.ASF} (Video Source)
    {Mpeg4s Decoder DMO} (Video Decoder)
    {Video Renderer} (Video Renderer)

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try this.

Download and install this codec pack:

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.16 [20.0 Mb]

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

How can I install the sg726acm.cab codec for WMP 10?

Dear 'smartin22':
    I read your post 'Problem solved' but I couldn't find any details as to just how you installed the 'sg726acm.cab' codec which WMP 10 won't automatically install because it is not signed by Microsoft or is from an 'unknown publisher'.
    Please tell me how to install it. I have downloaded the above codec from the link in your post but don't know what to do with it. I have received some video clips from a friend's digital camera that have an .asf extention which is supposed to be supported by Windows Media Player (WMP) but they won't play because the necessary codec isn't installed. Hope you can be of help and thanks in advance!
    Sincerely,
    McSlick

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Try this.

Download and install this codec pack:

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.16 [20.0 Mb]
    Just download and install this one, it's much easier.

Yes, I know about K-Lite. See message.

Thanks Conan, I mean Arnold! (Now the Mayor of my beloved homestate CA.).

Yes, I know about the K-Lite codec pack. It sounds pretty inviting but would require I uninstall DivX. Not too long ago, I upgraded my codecs with a pack from DivX which made a couple of other video encoding programs I use quite regularly, work even better than before. I'm not sure if the K-lite pack would enable these programs to work as well as they do now. All I really need, according to other sourses as well as WMP 10, is one codec 'sg726acm.cab' to get WMP 10 to view the .asf video clips.

The thread I was trying to get a reply from was by 'smartin22' who said 'Problem solved...'. But there was no explanation as to exactly how he did it.

Does anyone know how to install the 'sg726acm.cab' codec which WMP 10 won't install automatically because it's from an 'unknown publisher'?

McSlick I had the same problem that you are having. I just recently solved this problem not by downloading anything but by changing my Internet Explorer settings. Try going opening Internet Explorer then go to

Tools >
    Internet Options >
    then click on the Security tab >
    then click on Custom Levels >
    then scroll down to the ActiveX controls and plug-ins >
    make sure the Download signed ActiveX controls, Download unsigned ActiveX controls, Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe options are all set as prompt.

This should solve the problem if this does not then I am sorry.

Manually set ActiveX downloads to prompt almost worked!

Thanks 'Abinadius'!
    Your advice almost did the trick. After setting the ActiveX download options to 'prompt' I at least was able to select 'intall' the codec when I opened the .asf file with WMP 10, but after that I got 'error downloading codec' in the status bar. I tried repeatedly, rebooted, went back to the settings to make sure they didn't reset to 'default', thay hadn't. Still no luck Thanks for trying! Take care and happy computing

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    At this point I think you should just go ahead and install the K-lite codec pack. There's nothing that won't play in my system.