Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyware/Adware problem (help please)

Spyware/Adware problem (help please)

Hello,

Recently ive been having a ton of problems with spyware/adware and i cant seem to get rid of it.It gets detected in Norton Antivirus 2005,and the latest version of Ad aware but neither program can seem to delete it.When i check my Proceses by using ctrl+alt+del i see a few that just recently started showing up such as packager.exe and wbniweui.exe.Now i believe that packager.exe may be a windows program but the second i am not to sure about.I hope someone here can help me out.Also what would be a good program to help prevent these things from infecting my PC again?I have Norton Systemworks 2005,Ad aware latest version,System Mechanic,and BulletproofSoft SPyware remover.Thank you for your time.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Have you tried SpyBot? I often find this works when Ad-Aware fails (which it IMO rarely does).

Nope i havent tryed it but i will take a look.Thanks for the quick reply.To be honest i think i got most of thise crap when downloading a new program.Perhaps you heard of it.I was watching G4Tech TV channel and saw an advertisement for some adware/spyware/antivirus program called stopsign.I figured id give it a test and after that is when most of this started.I already scanned through my HDD's manually and removed all the files i found that were obviously spyware and such.but a few just wont remove as it says access is denied ect.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    eggheads spy remover guide.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I see this alot at work. Many so-called anti-spyware apps actually install spy/ad-ware. SpyBot and Ad-Aware are 2 of the great ones that dont.

Trying out the above guide.Thanks alot for the help guys.I am really glad i found this Forum.Its so hard to find help on these things.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You might also try either the Tea Timer from Spy Bot or Spyware Blaster which is another free app. Both seem to do a good job a keeping out new spyware apps as long as you keep them updated...
    Last edited by rik; February 6th, 2005 at 17:26 PM.

After using all the above suggestions i think i got rid of all spyware and adware.I only have one question and that is can anyone tell me what the windows Xp process named "wbniweui.exe" is exactly.I do not remember ever seeing this process until recently and i can not close it.When i choose "end task" as soon as it closes it auto restarts again.Since i do not know if it is a normal file or spyware its drivig me a little insane.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    windows Xp process named "wbniweui.exe" is exactly
    Have you spelled it correctly ? I can't find any info on it

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Many worms and some adwares generate a random 8 letter filename to help to stealth them - notably some variants of CoolWebSearch trojan. You may be able to delete it using KillBox ( www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/killbox.php ) or you may be able to terminate the process using Process Explorer ( http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../procexp.shtml ). Try 'suspend' then 'kill process tree'. You could also try Advanced Process Termination ( www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=apt ) and TaskMan+ ( www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=taskman )from Diamond CS.

yes i am positive i spelled it correct i thought i misread it as well because i also tryed a google search.

Thanks Curio i will try those and post my progress

Sorry about the double post.Just wanted to thank curio,i tried the programs you mentioned and killed the "wbniweui.exe" it seems that this was an exe file in my C:/WINDOWS/system32 folder and according to Process Explorer that file was running odly enough the calculator tool in the backround.Very weird.

Also wanted to ask does the name "Cypress USB Mass Storage Driver Notification Icon Application" or the filename "SM1nint.exe" look familiar?its in my PC and also wasnt on my PC before until recently.According to the properties tab its created by "Cypress Semiconductor"
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; January 28th, 2005 at 04:47 AM.

congrats

Do you have a mp3 player or usb memory stick? It looks very much like your USB MASS stor.......blah is likely something to do with that.

I have found the root to my problem.There are to files in the windows directory called Farmmext.exe and ernikw.exe now i have search on google and many people have had problems with these but heres my problem.I tried all the suggested removal tips and deleted these files and all traces of them.but then 5-10 minutes later they are suddenly back again any idea how to get rid of them for good?
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; January 29th, 2005 at 03:24 AM.