Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Norton Internet Security / Email Scanning - Cannot Disable?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5

    Norton Internet Security / Email Scanning - Cannot Disable?

    I have recently upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2005 (NIS05) from 2003 and have experienced nothing but problems.

    I am using Outlook Express 6 as email client and trying to disable email scanning for outgoing email from Norton, as I find this is very unreliable - once email is sent it is immediately removed from the Outbox and if connection is lost to internet during transmission it is not always clear if email has been successfully sent. I have tried disabling Norton Antivirus and Internet Security.... as well as switching off Scanning Incoming / Outgoing email. Despite this, when I send email Symantic Email Scanning is always invoked!

    Anyone have any suggestions??? I have to say upgrading to NIS 2005 has so far been a bad move - problematic installation and other problems!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    JAPAN
    Posts
    10,941
    When yous ay you find email scanning unreliable, what do you mean exactly? Is it not functioning? Are you getting errors? Is your email not being sent? etc...

    Take a look here for a possible solution to the email scanning issue:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...c=sg#_Section4

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5
    Email is immediately removed from Outbox once sent.... sometimes I will terminate my email connection and know what queued email has not been sent, however, it has beeen removed from Outbox. Sometimes email will seemingly be sent okay, but never reaches it's destination - no error message will indictae that sending of email has been unsuccessful. Never had any such problem before using Norton 2005!


    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    When yous ay you find email scanning unreliable, what do you mean exactly? Is it not functioning? Are you getting errors? Is your email not being sent? etc...

    Take a look here for a possible solution to the email scanning issue:

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...c=sg#_Section4

  4. #4
    Triple Platinum Member Curio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    899
    I have no idea why anyone ever buys Norton Internet Security, perhaps it's the name. Certainly your experience is not un-typical. And their advice is - turn off this thing that you have paid us all that money for then you can use your pc normally, excellent!!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5
    I agree totally.... I will play around with it for a few more hours this evening and will then have no option but to uninstall this piece of crap s/ware. I just cannot live with the current situation of some of my emails not being relaibly sent and have no means of knowing they reach their destination unless I cc myself on everything sent.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative antivirus program / firewall that works (at least) fairley reliably with Outlook Express. (I've heard of similar problems with McAfee???). The only thing I liked about Norton was that virus defintitions were always up to date.

    Norton Internet Security 2005 is a total waste of money!




    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    I have no idea why anyone ever buys Norton Internet Security, perhaps it's the name. Certainly your experience is not un-typical. And their advice is - turn off this thing that you have paid us all that money for then you can use your pc normally, excellent!!

  6. #6
    Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blasters worm farm
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma_Godding
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative antivirus program / firewall that works (at least) fairley reliably with Outlook Express.
    AV Avast !

    Firewall Sygate or ZoneAlarm

    All three products offer free versions for home use.

  7. #7
    Triple Platinum Member Curio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    AV Avast !

    Firewall Sygate or ZoneAlarm

    All three products offer free versions for home use.
    True.
    AVG 7 free is also good antivirus and if you have some kind of broadband connection get a router. Routers have a built in firewall capability that is usually better than any software FW (cos it's not on your PC).

  8. #8
    Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    4,343
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    AV Avast !

    Firewall Sygate or ZoneAlarm

    All three products offer free versions for home use.
    I second FastGame's recommendations!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •