Thread: Suggestions for upgrading computer

Suggestions for upgrading computer

I have a pretty crappy computer, and I wanted to upgrade it for World of Warcraft. Here's what I have now:

-Celeron
    -900 mhz
    -128 RAM
    -generic video card

I'm planning on upgrading the RAM to 512, and getting a new video card (suggestions are welcome). My question is after getting 512MB of RAM and a decent video card, do you think I can play the game semi-fluidly on my computer? I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I don't want to spend too much. Thanks.

Are you going to play online?

Where you would just play offline then all you might need is a better video card with 64 MB memory, GForce 5 minimal.

Online you would need 256 MB RAM and the 64 MB Video Card.

Honestly, a motherboard kit with a better CPU, More RAM, and a better Vid Card won't cost you much more than the individual components you described. You would get better bang for the buck and spend maybe $40 more than the total cost of the individual components.

Good luck.

Yeah, I'm planning on playing online. Any specific brand names you might recommend?

Thanks for the reply.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi Bryant, if you tell us how much $$ your looking to spend we could help you better.

The members here are more up to date on brand names than me and they know all about gaming and especially video cards. WarCraft is a favorite of mine and I used a 64 MB ASUS card 3 years or so ago for that with no problems. Back then 128 MB cards simply cost too much and since you do not want to spend too much I think a 64 MB card would the ticket. I see them at the stores here in Germany under $50 all the time.

As FastGame suggests give him a figure and he will hook you up with some proven options. Like his title says "Hardware pimp"

I've actually decided to get a new computer with a ATI Radeon 9100 that comes with the motherboard.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant
    I've actually decided to get a new computer with a ATI Radeon 9100 that comes with the motherboard.
    An integrated graphics solution is usually not as good as a real card. It uses system resources to process the graphics and is not generally upgradable. I'd suggest you seriously reconsider.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030903/

That article outlines specifics and does a fine job.

From that guide, you can read in their conclusion:

If you're planning on using your computer as a gaming station as well as a workstation, your best bet is to stay away from integrated graphics. The performance of Intel's i865G Extreme Graphics was nowhere near convincing in a gaming environment, making us wonder what exactly the self-serving "extreme" adjective described. Extremely slow, maybe?
    That said if you are going to go with integrated graphics, the one you chose is probably one of the better.

Before we start discussing the 3D capabilities of ATIís chipset, I would like to say a couple of words about 2D graphics. Thanks to the 400MHz RAMDAC, this RADEON supports a maximum resolution of 2048x1536x32bit with 85Hz refresh rate. A refresh rate of 100Hz is available in the more common mode, 1600x1200x32bit. This results in a superb 2D image quality (against many other integrated chipsets). The image is crisp and sharp even in the highest supported resolutions. Of course, the engineering team included support for hardware DVD decoding. The chipset features enhanced DVD playback options, including hardware iDCT and motion compensation. It should also be mentioned that the ATI RADEON 9100 IGP supports TV and DVI outputs without any additional chips or daughter cards.
    In 3D it does well. It also allows you to add a second external AGP card and still keep using the integrated graphics. This is good if you ever want to run more than 2 or 3 monitors.

The only thing I wonder about is Direct X 9 support.. and the 1.4 pixel shader only support...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chi...i-igp9100.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably end up buying Radeon 9800.

Oh, and I have two quick questions.

-For this computer should I get Athlon or Sempron and overclock it?
    -and how many watts do you suggest (350?)?

thanks again.

I moved this to hardware, you might get more suggestions here

For this computer should I get Athlon or Sempron and overclock it?
    The name Athlon covers many types of AMD CPU's, which one ?

Socket A Sempron is just a new name for the old Athlon XP 256k L2 cache CPU.

Socket 754 Sempron is the A64 with 32bits of 64 disabled and half the L2 cache as the regular A64 Newcastle, Newcastle has 512k L2 cache and Sempron has 256k L2

All the newer Athlon XP's (except the Mobiles) have locked multipliers, your over clocking will be limited.

The A64's are unlocked to all the lower multipliers so they overclock better.

Are you buying a computer that has options ? or are you building a computer ?

I've decided to build a computer from scratch. I dont know much about computers, and my friend suggested to get a Sempron 2400+ and overclock it. I always thought that Semprons were lower end CPUs.

Silver Member
    if your goin to overclock ive always hear that athlon xp 2600+ overclocks like a dream 2600+
    much better than the sempron 2400+

Yeah if your going to use regular Athlon XP Nate89 is correct, thats the barton core 512k L2 cache and its mulitpliers are unlocked.....screams in a Nforce2 board

Check prices well, you can get a A64 pretty cheap now....

Alright thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Yeah if your going to use regular Athlon XP Nate89 is correct, thats the barton core 512k L2 cache and its mulitpliers are unlocked.....screams in a Nforce2 board

Check prices well, you can get a A64 pretty cheap now....
    Sorry to post this in your topic Bryant but i have a very similar question which seems to fit this thread so no use making another one hopew you dont mind.

@ FastGame-

I have an Nforce 2 mobo and an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ i just wanted your opinion or more so your knowledge on how well they can be safely OCed.

It runs very well at the moment and i havent decided to overclock as i heard it can damage your PC,ect.Just wanted some imput on the matter.

@bhxtyrant

Overclocking and safety all come down to one thing, cooling.

The best improvement's overclocking the Athlon XP and Nforce2 is not so much increasing the CPU's mhz, increasing the FSB (front side buss) and running the CPU and Ram in sync at a higher FSB (increased memory bandwidth) is where the improvements come.

I don't know what Athlon XP 2400 you have ? it could be a 266fsb model or a 333fsb model ? it could have locked multipliers or they could be unlocked ? then there's the stepping (dated yields).

Download CPU-Z and it'll give you info on your CPU.

Your Nforce2 board will safely run @400+ FSB, 200+fsb X 2 (DDR)=400+fsb. If your CPU is unlocked it will run in sync with the ram @400+ FSB and it doesn't matter if its a 266fsb or 333fsb model.

Your XP 2400 is going to top out at a certain mhz, thats going to depend on what stepping (yield) the chip is, there's no guaranty on what that mhz is even among CPU's of the same stepping. This is the reason you need a unlocked CPU, you need to lower the multiplier so your CPU runs at a given (stable) mhz when you raise the FSB.

The Athlon mobile CPU's (XP 2400,2500,2600) are gems to the OC'n world because they're unlocked (for AMD's PowerNow), they're the highest graded chips (high mhz @low voltage=less heat) and they're Barton cores (512k L2 cache vs 256k L2 regular XP)

There's only 3 for sure guaranty's about OC'n, you need clean stable voltage, you need high grade ram (high grade doesn't mean it cost the most) and you need good cooling. Even with the 3 givens the amount of success varies from system to system.

If you want to explore the possible improvement OC'n may have for your system start a new thread.

Get CPU-Z, post the results and post what brand/type of Ram you have and we'll go from there.

Oh almost forgot you wanted my opinion, I don't consider it OC'n until you need liquid nitrogen anything short of that I call setting the system to to spec's it should of come from the factory with