January 30th, 2005, 20:22 PM
Am I too layered or not layered enough?
My first post... please be kind.
Iím so confused on how to protect my familiesí PCís!
QUESTION: Am I too layered, not layered enough, need different comboís, need firewall on EACH PC?
ANY and ALL comments would be greatly appreciated!
Our PC/surf habits are mostly MS Word, "googling", and *Web* Email. We donít download music or movies, and we donít (on purpose) go to any porn/warez sites. We are connected to the Internet about +12 hours/day.
My setup is:
- Dial-up modem on a dedicated PC (233MHz/256MB) using IPCop 1.4.2 *nix NAT firewall feeding a "wired" hub. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipcop/)
- My PC (1.2MHz/384MB) running XP/SP2
- Resident software:
- avast! Home Edition Free 4.5.561: Internet Mail = High, Network Shield = High, Standard Shield = High and scan all files on open/create/modify
- Spybot Ė Search & Destroy 1.3: Resident "SDHelper" active
- SpywareGuard 2.2: Enable all protection
- ProcessGuard Free 3.150
- Prevex Home Free 2.0
- On-Demand software:
- avast! Home Edition Free 4.5.561: Local disks, Through, Scan archive files
- Spybot Ė Search & Destroy 1.3: Lock "hosts" file as read-only, Add Spybot-S&D hosts list
- SpywareBlaster 3.2: Enable all protection
- Ad-Aware SE 1.05
- CWShredder 2.12
- HijackThis 1.99.0
- ADSSpy 1.07
- a-squared Free 1.5.2
- hpguru's HOSTS File (http://www.dozleng.com/hpguru/)
- Firefox 1.0
- Internet Explorer:
- Cookie settings: Internet Zone = Session Only Cookies, Trusted Zone = Only First Party Cookies
- Internet Zone Security settings: Change "Medium" level to "High" level
- Trusted Zone Security settings: Change "Low" level to "Medium" level
- Restricted Zone Security settings: A "zillion" bad sites
- Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_06-b03)
- XPlite (http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html)
- Outlook Express
- Windows Messenger
- Universal Plug and Play
- Remote Registry
- Remote Assistance
- Windows Media Player 9+ (only have version 6.4 installed)
- Family PC (400MHz/256MB) running XP/SP2
Same as my PC, except NO ProcessGuard, Prevex, or Firefox.
- Two laptops XP/SP2 (not tweaked yet and not connected to the LAN)
- SAMBA server (200MHz/128MB) running SuSE 9.2 Pro as a PDC (SAMBA 3.0.0-2.1).
January 30th, 2005, 22:15 PM
Man-o-Man I'd say you have everything covered, do you have a 12ga shotgun by the front door ? J/K
If your setup runs fine then it looks ok to me
January 30th, 2005, 22:36 PM
Triple Platinum Member
With all that hardware around I'd be running Squid and SquidGuard somewhere.
January 30th, 2005, 23:21 PM
--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---