Thread: Computer underclocked

Computer underclocked

Hiya, I'm having a problem with my computer being underclocked for some reason. It should be running as a 1.4 ghz but it's only running at 1.05 for some reason.
    Running 98SE
    AMB Athlon
    And I'm not sure what motherboard I have, can someone tell me how to check please?
    And if you need to know anything else, just lemme know.

Did you custom build the PC or mess around in the system Bios recently?I had a similar problem where my 2GHZ Athlon XP was only running at around 1.6GHZ it seems i had the FSB speed set to 100 when it should have been 133.could be your problem as well.

No, I didn't custom build it. Bought it off a website about 4 years ago or so. I did find a test though that gives all the hardware specs so everyone who needs it can look at it.

Name AMD Athlon
    Code Name Thunderbird
    Specification AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
    Family / Model / Stepping 6 4 4
    Extended Family / Model 7 4
    Package Socket A
    Core Stepping A9
    Technology 0.18 µ
    Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!
    CPU Clock Speed 1045.5 MHz
    Clock multiplier x 10.5
    Front Side Bus Frequency 99.6 MHz
    Bus Speed 199.2 MHz
    L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
    L2 Speed 1045.5 MHz (Full)
    L2 Location On Chip
    L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
    L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset
    Motherboard manufacturer ECS
    Motherboard model K7S5A,
    BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc.
    BIOS revision 07.00T
    BIOS release date 04/02/01
    Chipset SiS SiS735 rev. 1
    Southbridge SiS ID8 rev. 0
    Sensor chip IT 0

Graphic Interface AGP
    AGP Status enabled, rev. 2.0
    AGP Data Transfert Rate 4x
    AGP Max Rate 4x
    AGP Side Band Addressing supported, not enabled
    AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

Memory
    DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
    DRAM Size 1536 MBytes
    CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (TRC) 10 clocks
    # of memory modules 1
    Module 0 AMD DDR-SDRAM PC2100 - 512 MBytes

Software
    Windows version Microsoft Windows 98 SE
    DirectX version 9.0

Good call. The default FSB setting on many Socket A MB's is 100. As stated above, change the setting to 133.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I would recommend checking out this site http://www.cyberiapc.com/overclocking.htm it gives very easy to follow instructions on Overclocking your PC.If your Processor is underclocked then my guess would be the BUS sped it set incorrectly so simply setting it to a higher value should boost it up to full speed.

I'm not the most advanced PC user here by any means so perhaps wait a bit longer until one of the more advanced members shows up

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    Good call. The default FSB setting on many Socket A MB's is 100. As stated above, change the setting to 133.
    Okay pretend I'm a noob and change what exactly to 133? And is it plain 133 or 133 mhz or what?

Ok what you want to do is go into your PC's Bio's settings at startup.This is usually done by tapping the F1 or F10 key while the system is booting up. (note the key may vary from system to system check here for the varients http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/rein...nter-BIOS.html )

Once in your Bio's you want to look for your BUS speed options.The standards settings are usually 66MHZ,100MHZ,133MHZ,and i believe ive seen 166MHZ before as well.simply check to see what it is if it is set to 100MHZ bump it up to 133MHZ save your settings and reboot.If everything starts up fine then you are good however if everything does not you will have to go back into Bio's and change the settings back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Ok what you want to do is go into your PC's Bio's settings at startup.This is usually done by tapping the F1 or F10 key while the system is booting up. (note the key may vary from system to system check here for the varients http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/rein...nter-BIOS.html )

Once in your Bio's you want to look for your BUS speed options.The standards settings are usually 66MHZ,100MHZ,133MHZ,and i believe ive seen 166MHZ before as well.simply check to see what it is if it is set to 100MHZ bump it up to 133MHZ save your settings and reboot.If everything starts up fine then you are good however if everything does not you will have to go back into Bio's and change the settings back to normal.
    Okay, I went into the bios and didn't see an option to change the FSB...the only thing that I saw that may come close is CPU Speed and it's currently set at 100/100mhz and can go to 100/133mhz, 133/133mhz, 166/133mhz. And the CPU Frequency is the first number and the DRAM Frequency is the second number I do believe. So I'm not sure if that was it or not. So how would I change the FSB to 133?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Use the setting 133/133
    Last edited by FastGame; February 1st, 2005 at 00:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Use the setting 133/133
    That should do it.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I went into my bios and changed it to 133/133 and it booted up at 1.4 ghz but my computer got way too hot for my liking...70 degree's C so I need to either put in a new fan or some kind of heatsink or something to cool it down. Any recommendations?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Romial
    I went into my bios and changed it to 133/133 and it booted up at 1.4 ghz but my computer got way too hot for my liking...70 degree's C so I need to either put in a new fan or some kind of heatsink or something to cool it down. Any recommendations?
    70 C would worry me! Is the heatsink free of dust?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Those T-Birds were prolly the hottest CPU's ever made, I think they were called AMD Chernobyl

70c sounds kinda hot but for a T-Bird it's about right in a standard pre built of its day, should try and get it down to 60c at least.

The coolers in this thread should work good http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13794 make sure you get a HSF for Socket A

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    or some kind of heatsink or something to cool it down
    you dont have a Heat Sink??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---