Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To overclock or not?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    set your mem timing to userdefined. and cpu to user defined. so this way you can play with it alittle better.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    @stone2

If your CPU is unlocked it should run @12x166, try that and see if it boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    set your mem timing to userdefined. and cpu to user defined. so this way you can play with it alittle better.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    fg i'm thinking he wants to run the mem at 200.

Hi Fastgame and Phishhead
    At the mo I'm running at 171fbs x12 and all is sweet so far. Haven't played with ram settings yet as I'm totally lost when it comes to that.
    Question: Which is better a faster cpu or faster fbs? and how much improvement can I expect if I can get the fbs upto 200 which would be in sync with the ram...is that correct?
    I have also checked where I can get an uber bios but not sure which one I should run if any and if you do suggest I flash my bios with one of these can I flash it with Asusupdate utility? My asus board revision is 2.0.
    Last edited by stone2; April 2nd, 2005 at 00:20 AM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    FSB higher is better and more stable than higher CPU clock, so if you lower your multiplier, it will lower your CPU clock, but then you raise your FSB, and it will be more or less to the same CPU clock, but higher FSB. If you get the FSB to 200 it will be sweet. Did you run some benchmark before uppping?
    I run myself some, and I didn't get that much from going up in CPU but HEAT , but the FSB is another story
    My setup is similar too
    Athlon XP 2500+ Thoroughbred B(2100MHz) Running at 2100 x10.5 FSB 200x2
    Mem Geil Ultra 433 running @ 200.5 Mhz CAS 2 RAS to CAS 3, RAS PreCharge 3 and Cycle Time (Tras) 6 in Dual Channel.
    The system is pretty stable (never crashes actually)
    I don't remember how long I had this setup, but it is a quite long time (I bought the RAM and CPU in the beginning of Nov 2003, so probably since Dec 2003)
    My Gosh I just realized my system is aging For me still it is my new PC, and I am still happy about it
    Last edited by Dehcbad25; April 2nd, 2005 at 02:06 AM.

fg i'm thinking he wants to run the mem at 200
    I just wanted to see if his CPU was really unlocked.

Yes as Dehcbad25 says, you want higher FSB and running in sync with the CPU. Even if you can only run @333fsb its best that the Nforce2 runs in sync.....better than the CPU @333 and ram @400.

Lower your multiplier to 11 and raise the FSB some more....

Set the CPU interface to Aggressive (or enabled) so your ram will run at the 1T command rate.

Ram timming 2.5-3-3-11

Download Memtest ISO unzip and burn to CD then boot to the CD after you make bios changes, test the memory

Memtest Home page
    Last edited by FastGame; April 2nd, 2005 at 02:16 AM.

I just lowered the multiplyer to 11 and fbs to 195 and windows booted ok.
    I can't change the cpu interface as its not selectable and as for the ram timming could you please explain as if I'm and idiot cause I don't know what any of those settings do. If you could look at my bios screen and tell me what 'Active precharge delay' means and what it should be on as no one has mentioned this one yet. Also kindly explain what the others should be set as well.
    Thanks...I'm finally getting somewhere with this overclocking thingy. I tried once a couple of years ago with rev 1.0 board and fried the cmos so have been a bit scared to attempt again. I'm still a bit unsure about the relationship of speeds between the cpu and mem. If I have pc3200 is it running at 400mhz regardless of what the fbs cpu is running at?

Ok guys this is the latest.(see attachments) Windows boots and now I will run some benchmarks and see how the system handles.
    Last edited by stone2; April 2nd, 2005 at 03:51 AM.

Go here Rojak Pot and read about bios settings and what they mean/do, can't explain it any better....

Your SS looks good, looks like your running @400fsb in sync now

Change the Memory Timming from Aggressive to User Defined. Then change the 8 on Active Precharge Delay to 11. Change the CAS Latency from 3T to 2.5 and see if it'll boot.

I can't change the cpu interface as its not selectable
    What if you highlight it and use the page up & page down keys ?

If I have pc3200 is it running at 400mhz regardless of what the fbs cpu is running at?
    If the Memory Frequency is set to "Sync" they both run at the same speed (FSB) don't you have a setting for Sync ?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    The setting for synch is the percentage. 100% is same as FSB (memory Frequency), so he is running at synch already. The CPU interface doesn't need to be changed (and cannot in that setting) It is like the filed of Memory Tmmings. It has Optimal, Aggressiva and some other. So, since he has in User Defined it cannot be changed
    If I have pc3200 is it running at 400mhz regardless of what the fbs cpu is running at?
    Since you have the Memory Frequency Set to 100% it will run at the same speed of the FSB. If you want to run it to 216 Mhz, then I think it is 116%, but there is no need to do that, since you will take it out of synch. Better leave the RAM at 200Mhz. It is underclocked, but then, it should be more stable, and you get better performance by having Synch, and higher FSB. In my Mobo I went as high as 205 Mhz Synch, but I had some problems (now I believe the problems were actually my video card )

Well I set the memory timmings as suggested and still booting ok. I also upped the cpu vcore voltage from 1.650 to 1.675 cause I was getting random crashes or windows rebooting by itself.(should I take it further?) At this stage the only benchmark I can run without windows crashing or locking up is PCMark 2002. Others such as 3DMark 03 crash about half way through. I have only just now taken off the cpu heatsink which is a Thermaltake Volcano 7 and given it a bit of a clean as I thought the temps were a bit high at 48C idle and 52C running benchmarks. I have no idea what type of thermal grease is being used but it is white and there seemed to be a fair bit of it so I wiped off the excess and reset the heatsink. I now have idle temps of 40C. (Temps being read from external sensor taped to underside of cpu chip.) I am now gonna try running some more benchmarks and will be back to let you know how I got on.
    Is there anything else you guys can think of to get more performance outa my machine. (check latest bios photo)
    By the way thanks greatly for all your help so far. Great Forum with people like yourselves contributing...

p.s. One more question: Which way should the fan attached to the cpu heatsink spin? At the mo the fan is forcing air onto the cpu...am wondering if the fan shouldn't be sucking air away from cpu!
    Last edited by stone2; April 2nd, 2005 at 23:30 PM.

At this stage the only benchmark I can run without windows crashing or locking up is PCMark 2002. Others such as 3DMark 03 crash about half way through
    You're going to need to fix that, stabilty is paramount

Can you lower the multiplier to 10.5 and then raise the FSB a little at a time ?

I also upped the cpu vcore voltage from 1.650 to 1.675 cause I was getting random crashes or windows rebooting by itself.(should I take it further?)
    You can raise it more as long as the CPU temperature stays within reason. You should also raise the memory voltage.

Use Prime95 to test stability, you'll crash fast if things aren't right.

Ok, After resetting cpu heatsink and obtaining lower temps I have been able to use all benchmarks without any problems. Downloading prime95 now..
    What do you suggest I do now to push the overclocking further to find the wall of my system?
    Should I raise the mem voltage if system is running stable now?

What do you suggest I do now to push the overclocking further to find the wall of my system?
    You lower the CPU mutiplier (10 or less) then raise the FSB till your ram craps out (memtest86), then raise the mem voltage and try again. You'll hit a limit then back off below the limit and bring the CPU multiplier up till it craps out...simple

When you use Prime95 set it for the "Blend" test and if it runs 12-24hrs without crashing then you should be pretty darn stable.

BTW for you to get the most out of your system you'll need better ram that'll do 250+FSB, your system is pretty powerfull the way it is so be happy

Hey FastGame,just wanted your opinion on the quality of some Ram i am interested in.The price looks very reasonable but because te price is alot lower then i expected im doubtful its very high quality.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...C-pr1c3grabb3r

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...220-037&depa=1