Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: To overclock or not?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Hey FastGame,just wanted your opinion on the quality of some Ram i am interested in.The price looks very reasonable but because te price is alot lower then i expected im doubtful its very high quality
    That ram is fine and the price is in line with other manufactures standard line. The timings are rather loose compaired to the high end stuff, don't know how well it'll OC ??? but some brands do quite well and are bargains....

I'll give an example...zipp51 bought some Crucial Ballistix PC 3200 (great stuff) and his timings are 2-3-2-5. Now he can OC that ram with those fast timings and depending on how fast he goes he might only have the change the CAS from 2 to 2.5. Thats still faster than the standard ram @PC 3200 and he could be running @PC 3700+

Now he could also change his timings to the same as the ram you link to and he now has Crucial Ballistix PC 4000

The most important thing is make sure ram is approved for your MB and the company has a good return policy

Hey Fastgame,
    Just wanted to let you know how I got on with the o/c.(busy with work last couple of days)
    Am running 203 fbs and all benchmarks work although I get errors with prime95 after a couple of minutes...should I be concerned? Running the cpu vcore at 2.7v and mem at 1.7v Can take mem to 1.8, should I take it further?
    I do think my system is still a bit flakey but for some reason if I lower the multiplyer less than 11 my machine refuses to boot! Any idea why that is? Higher vcore maybe?

bhxtyrant what speed did you get your system upto in the end and what bios settings did you tweak?

Cheers all

I get errors with prime95 after a couple of minutes
    I guess if you can operate your PC without problems in your daily activities you could say everything is stable, that being said the truth is if Prime95 crashes then something isn't right.

running the cpu vcore at 2.7v and mem at 1.7v
    You have those reversed ? should be CPU 1.7 and mem 2.7.

You could raise the V-core 1.75/maybe 1.8, I wouldn't raise the mem more than 2.8. I had that same ram with my A7N8X-D and it wouldn't OC high nor did it like high voltage.

I have no clue why your PC doesn't boot with a lower than 11 multiplier, did you try all the lowers ? 9/10/10.5 ?

Did you try different memory slots ?
    Last edited by FastGame; April 5th, 2005 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stone2
    bhxtyrant what speed did you get your system upto in the end and what bios settings did you tweak?
    Cheers all
    Hey man,glad to hear you got everything running.Unfortunatly for me i was one of the unlucky ones that got a locked 2400+ so now im planning on building a new PC with the AMD 64 3000+ 939 and i might grab an AMD Athlon M-xp2600+ to put in my current system.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if you get the 2400xp mobile bhxtyrant...you'd make fastgame a happy mod. he swears by it.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    if you get the 2400xp mobile bhxtyrant...you'd make fastgame a happy mod. he swears by it.
    Actually I'm always happy, even if someone uses Intel

I've used the 2400, 2500, 2600 Mobiles and they're all close, with the price difference being so close now a days the 2600 is the one to get.

If the price is about the same its always better to get the CPU that defaults at a higher multiplier (providing its unlocked), gives you more to play with incase the ram doesn't want to play

Hey Fastgame,thanks for the info on the RAM.I have yet another question lol.

Thanks to everyones suggestions i am gonna grab a AMD64 3000+ processor.I am gonna order from newegg.then i aw something kinda odd to me.They have the AMD64 3000+ retail ($146) and OEM($149),Is there any difference besides the fact that the retail comes with a stock HSF?I would hate to order the retail and find out its locked or something if you know what i mean.I will more then likely order the OEM with This HSF ,since it supports up to AMD 64 5000+ it should eliminate having to buy another HSF for future processor upgrades.What do you think.

They have the AMD64 3000+ retail ($146) and OEM($149),Is there any difference besides the fact that the retail comes with a stock HSF?I
    The Retail has a HSF & 3 year warranty and the OEM doesn't.

Hmm so technically shouldnt the retail version cost more then the OEM?but in this case its kinda backwards lol thats why i ask

Maybe Newegg was selling a bunch of OEM's and they wanted to move out the retails, I'd get the retail.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I'm in the market for the A64 3000+ 939 version and I noticed that the price at Monarch Computers drops to $135 every Sunday night for the last 3 weeks.Then on Monday it goes back up to $146.They are a hot item,no doubt because of their overclocking potential.Even reseller venders are getting $131.80 and a bit lower the more you order. I'll wait a bit longer,no hurry I will buy a new SATA drive and Venus 12 heatsink to go with it.So far I have The Abit AV8 mobo,Crucial Ballistic 1GB(2 512 sticks)PC3200,ATI 9700 Radeon.I will be swapping out my Lian Li P60 case.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    They have the AMD64 3000+ retail ($146) and OEM($149),Is there any difference besides the fact that the retail comes with a stock HSF?
    this was my same question today when i was looking at the amd athlon xp 2800+ for a friend who's upgrading. the retail is going for $101 and the oem is $104. then i looked at the comparison and saw that besides the retail box having the hs and fan, it used 1.65 volts and the oem used 1.5. does this mean the oem version runs on lower power? ~s

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.
    - Sophocles

I would need to see the CPU's or link, you can't always believe all the spec's in the ads.

The 1.5 v sounds like a Mobile chip.

Titanium Member
    Mobile chip?

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    I would need to see the CPU's or link, you can't always believe all the spec's in the ads.

The 1.5 v sounds like a Mobile chip.
    well, here's the link to the specs page, for both oem and retail box:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1

and here's a review submitted by some guy named tyler, after some other guy posted a review also saying it was a mobile chip:
    Great processor. After two weeks of rock solid stability and mid 30-mid 40 temps, I overclocked to 3200+ (200x11). Even after overclock it still runs solid on my AN35N-Ultra 400, and temps don't go over 45C under load. I'm running the processor on air with a Speeze 80mm HSF with a dab of Arctic Silver 5 for flavor ;-).

It is NOT an XP-Mobile, as previously stated. Although the mobo and Win XP recognizes it as "Unknown CPU Typ", the reason is different. Because this is a "low-power" desktop cpu, the board is confused and recognizes it as unknown, just like a mobile. If you notice the v-core voltage on this processor is 1.5, whereas on the retail 2800+ the voltage is 1.65. The unknown name is kind of lame, but it's clearly just cosmetic. I flashed the most recent BIOS, and that didn't help, but I don't mind the name. The speed is what counts!!

I like it a lot, installation was a breeze, and it's a great deal snappier than my 1800+. Plus, after OCing the FSB I can run my PC3200 mem at speed, and everything on my board is synchronized!!

you can read all nine reviews here:
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/Custrat...tem=19-103-509

I prefer rogues to imbeciles because they sometimes take a rest.
    Alexandre Dumas the Younger