Thread: ADSL problem in WinXP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question ADSL problem in WinXP

Last night the my ADSL-connection dropped out. I just leaved the computer for an hour or so to
    watch something on tv. When I get back, I dont get any connection to internet.

Today I phoned the Isp support and it was not down from them. They testet it with ipconfig and
    som ping commands etc and my Ip adress came up. Also modems was disconnected
    andt restarted and I have tried 2 different adsl modems.

It seems to be something on my system WinXp . I have experienced similar 2 or 3 times before
    (not recently) and then I got the connection back by using the restore (I'm not shure
    what its called in english, but its what you used restore/scanreg for inm win 98. in WinXp
    its in help and support, and must be called "system restore" or something like that. It
    recover the settings from dates in the past you choose from a list)

But this did not work either this time, I have tried 2 times.

Do anyone have suggestions what I could try?

Edit; problem resolved
    Last edited by stadacone; January 31st, 2005 at 20:26 PM.

How about telling us the fix. The answer may help someone in the future.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    How about telling us the fix. The answer may help someone in the future.
    Yes of course. I was infact going to, but was unshure what some things is called in english and my english, but I will try

I went into the control panel, system, hardware(?), and then what in norwegian is called "enhetsbehandling". Directly translated it should be something like: itemtreatment . Well i opened network card and the simply uninstalled both under this, restarted the computer, and all was in order again

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stadacone
    ... Iwent into the control panel, system, hardware(?), and then what in norwegian is called "enhetsbehandling". Directly translated it should be something like: itemtreatment . Well i opened network card and the simply uninstalled both under this, restarted the computer, and all was in order again
    That was a good effort stadacone, good work.

Just for clarity... Open control panel, open System, Select the Hardware Tab, click the Device Manager button, which should open a new dialog screen. Ensure View is set to "Devices By Type" from the toolmenu at top of screen.

This should show a tree view of all the hardware type in your computer. Click the + sign box next to the "Network Adaptors", which will show your installed network cards. Right-click and select uninstall, then reboot.

So... stadacone must have had a driver issue with the Network card or similar, so by uninstalling and reboot, it Forced Windows to "Found new Hardware" and automatically re-install the drivers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    That was a good effort stadacone, good work.

Just for clarity... Open control panel, open System, Select the Hardware Tab, click the Device Manager button, which should open a new dialog screen. Ensure View is set to "Devices By Type" from the toolmenu at top of screen.

This should show a tree view of all the hardware type in your computer. Click the + sign box next to the "Network Adaptors", which will show your installed network cards. Right-click and select uninstall, then reboot.

So... stadacone must have had a driver issue with the Network card or similar, so by uninstalling and reboot, it Forced Windows to "Found new Hardware" and automatically re-install the drivers.
    Thanks cash_site!

Yes thats right; the message "found new hardware" appeared right after the reboot. Also the Adsl modem was turned on and connected during this operation, and maybe made the network install automatically

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garfieldthe1
    i've got the same problem
    garfieldthe1, seems you have alot of the same problems

Your going to have a problem getting into the TZ Arcade if you keep this up

Consider this your second and final warning......
    Last edited by FastGame; February 1st, 2005 at 12:57 PM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    could be a corrupt winsock.