Thread: USB Flash Drive not detected on front USB ports

USB Flash Drive not detected on front USB ports

I bought a 1GB PQI Intelligent Stick 2.0 flash drive. For some reason it doesn't work on my front USB ports. I have two in the front and four in the back. It works fine in the back. I never had any problems with my front USB ports and I use my digital camera in the front all the time. Any ideas?
    www.mightymo.net

Silver Member
    loose connection maybe...maybe the port went bad...try the basic stuff
    check to make sure everything is still connected to ur motherboard maybe last time u went in there u bumped something and it came loose
    Last edited by Nate89; February 1st, 2005 at 04:52 AM.

when I plug the flash drive in the front, I get an "unknown device" thingie. When I plug it into the back it comes up as F: and works fine. Plus I tested the front just now with my camera, they work fine.
    www.mightymo.net

Silver Member
    well then thats messed up if it doesnt work in the front y would it in the bacl i cant help u here wait for a TZ vet to help ya im stumped

Is this a system that you built yourself? Either way give us your system specs and that could aid us in helping you.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Maybe your pen drive is usb 2.0 and won't work as backward compatible and some computers are 1.1 usb on their front ports.To make it convenient you may need an extention from the back.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Yes I built this computer myself. I'm running XP Pro SP2. Here are most of the specs:

4-17-03
    Antec ATX 350w Tower
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard v2
    AMD Athlon XP 2500 / 333MHz bus / 512KB cache
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro / AGP 8X / 128MB
    Soundblaster Audigy 2
    256MB x 2 Kingston RAM PC2700 (333MHz)
    300GB Maxtor SATA 7200RPM 16MB cache (primary) (1-15-05)
    120GB Hitachi SATA 7200RPM 8MB cache (secondary)
    Samsung 712N flat panel monitor (1-15-05)
    www.mightymo.net

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What case do you have ? I remember Antec had to replace the front USB ports cuz they didn't work on USB 2.0

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp51
    Maybe your pen drive is usb 2.0 and won't work as backward compatible and some computers are 1.1 usb on their front ports.
    thats what I was thinking. if you boot to your bios most BIOS have the option for usb1.0 and 2.0. give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    What case do you have ? I remember Antec had to replace the front USB ports cuz they didn't work on USB 2.0
    Cool, I just called Antec and they said they had a problem back in 2003 with the USB ports not reading USB 2.0. So I was right, my flash drive doesn't work on 1.1 ports for some reason. They are going to send me the little USB board for me to replace. Awesome. I have the Antec Plus 660AMG case.
    www.mightymo.net

OK I got the new front USB board and installed it. Flash drive works now, so that was the problem.
    www.mightymo.net

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Excellent. Glad you got it working.