Thread: Firewall, Router

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Firewall, Router

OK, here is my beloved project which I have delayed for so long, but I am going to get it working again.
    I want to convert an old PC in a router. I know there are some Linux distro that can do that. Actually today I read about 2. Some time ago, I did read about it, but it seems there are more options now, and I wanted to see what you guys thought about it.
    I read about Smoothwall and Clarkconnect. I have been thinking that since I will spend the time, I should also get something that can be complete, the more the better. Web server, Zamba are Ok, but I am looking also at reporting capabilities, and one feature it would be a plus, so I can use it at my mother's home, is the ability of disconnecting users, preferible at certain times, or from a concole
    I will see if I can get some of these working in Virtual PC first, so I can test, and decide which is best suited, but so far I don't think I get all that I would like

ClarkConnect will do the job you want. Support forum at the web site, loads of plugins, etc.. It is all free for someone like us. I have used it for a short period of time when the highest version was 2.2. Now 3.1 is out and it should do ya some good.

Thanks. Do I need a pluging to restrict access by time? or disconect a user automatically?
    BTW, the sun in your sig, where did you get it from? It looks very similar to the sun in Argentinea's flag

It is a plugin for one of my graphics programs. I can do many things with it as in make it bigger, smaller, wider etc.

There is a option to limit access by IP or computer name if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Tinker; February 2nd, 2005 at 20:08 PM.

I have installed both. So far Smoothwall is only working. I have a problem with Clark Connect not being able to find itself (can't find 127.0.0.1) in order to open the browser page. Well, it is not terrible since I actually installed it in a Virtual PC, not yet on a PC (wanted to get an idea of both)
    I am very impressed with both, and because of all the extras I think I will use Clark Connect too, since it will also give me some needed Linux Hands on. Man, I really need to practice that OS, but I am just so lazy, and don't know where to begin. This might be a perfect start