Thread: Power supply failed

Power supply failed

My power supply failed on my Windows machine last night. That means that I will be using Linux 100% of the time, at least until I get a replacement PS.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Back in business. Power supply arrived today.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What kind did you get ?

I was afraid someone would ask that question. Not because of the power supply purchased, but because I would have to come clean on the whole sordid story.

Keep in mind that I don't play games. My computer has has an overclocked 2400XP, a CDRW, usb combo printer, and one 40 GB hard drive. There is no need for a 500W power supply. Over the last several months, my monitor has had a noticeable flicker. I had mentally prepared myself for a future purchase. Then last week my power supply failed. When I removed the old PS, I had one of those "what the heck" moments.

The removed PS was rated at 220W. Now I had to try to look through the demetia to remember how this happened. It took a minute to remember but here is the story.

Several months ago, my adequately sized PS failed. My shop was full of customer computers at the time. I needed this computer since I keep software that I use in repair and setup on that machine. I went to my parts bin and the only PS on hand was this 220W that had been removed from a scrapped x486 machine. Not being timid, I wondered if it would handle this computer. I installed it and was surprised to find that it worked. The intent was for this to be temporary. I intended to order a replacement. I promptly forgot and trudged on in computing bliss.

When the 220W PS finally moved toward failure and my monitor began to flicker like a neon beer sign, I had forgotten the incident.

With the new PS there is once again adequate power "under the hood". The monitor has returned to its previous life and is again rock solid. I have even found that the 2400xp will overclock further.

This is the PS I purchased. LINK
    Last edited by efc; February 10th, 2005 at 14:04 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Now I had to try to look through the demetia to remember
    hey we have something in common you should make sure you v-card is in your PC....you might of tried it out in a customers PC and.....
    Good to see everything is fine now.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    hey we have something in common you should make sure you v-card is in your PC....you might of tried it out in a customers PC and.....
    Good to see everything is fine now.
    Yep good point to double check things...

LOL, was going to tell the joke about woman who usually kept a pencil in her hair... but you get the picture

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---