Thread: Network/Cable Analyzer

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Network/Cable Analyzer

OK, I am going to get technical and geeky again
    I have been having some connectivity problems in buildings around work. I have some suspicious of what it could be, but I need to corroborate it. I know fluke has some good cable analyzers, and they can do the job I need, but....they are way expensive (over 2K)
    So, I was thinking, there should be something more, maybe in the form of software, and with some luck it is even open sourced
    I think the problems we are having are due to in one location because a rat is eating the cables inside the wall, in the other locations, because normal copper cat5 cable was used for outside cable, where temps go well below 32, and I have seen cat5 snap very easily because of low temps (not to mention this cabling is about 6 to 7 years old in that condition).
    Also, probably there is a software that analyzes network bottlenecks, like broadcast traffic, where it is coming from, ports and all that so it can be easily used to troubleshoot network problem

Nobody knows anything about this??

Have you seen this?? LINK

Or this?? LINK

On EBAY - LINK

Another - LINK
    Last edited by efc; February 17th, 2005 at 13:34 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

OK...... NETWORK/CABLE ANALYZER, not cable tester. I don't need a cable test (thought I have a very good one from Fluke) since I terminate my cable extremely well (I haven't had a single faulty cabl terminated so far, not even when I was learning)
    The equipment that I am talking about is actually quite expensive, like 2K and up. Some of them can read like an spectrum, and from there you can quite right guess faulties in anywhere in the cable, read mediocre terminations and more. This can also tell you which computers are connected to which ports in switches and so on, bla bla bla. In resumen, it is a really sexy idea
    So, I thought probably it can be done with a PC too, installing a software

When I was researching this, I found some that were not that expensive that could do some of the tasks you described. How high are you willing to go?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

none at all
    I work for a state company, we can only buy thru authorized sellers, and then on top of that, we are also in tight budget. That is why I was thinking on a software type, since I could get a demo, or with luck a GPL licence.
    But if it is not that expensive and it coud still find weak cabling, or cable that might decreased the persormance of the network (or intermitents failings) then I might be able to get the aproval, since I want to check a subnet that we have, which runs outside, and I think that normal drywall cable is not cut out for low temps, and might have hurt performance (of an base 10T) quite a bit