Thread: MS SQL Reporting Services Logs

MS SQL Reporting Services Logs

I apologize if this is in the incorrect forum, i figured its more of a sysAdmin issue then just 'software'.

I am having some issues with Reporting Services and its log files. I know next to nothing about it... so bear with me. the OS is Small Business Server 2k3, on a 12GB partition.

Reporting Services log files have been chewing up my disk space like no other. i had 6GB of log files in there... and teh computer has only been running (ie in teh office, owned by us, etc) for two months, so its not like its years of buildup.

i had a over 250 logs in there... a few were normal log file sizes.. but most were 33MB each. now, this strikes me as extremely odd, and not normal. i figure there are a couple possible problems going on.

1) log file properties are just FUBARed and i should change them. the problem with that is that i have no idea where Reporting Services would have its log file properties or whatnot. help with this is appreciated.

2) there is actually something bad going on with my Reporting Services that is causing these huge logfiles. the thing with this is that i know nothing about it... so i might need help deciphering them.

any help in this matter is appreciated. thanks TZ.

ok... i figured i would post up some of the log file and see if any of you can explain it to me.

ReportingServicesService!dbcleanup!16a0!2/4/2005-01:59:59:: i INFO: Cleaned 0 broken snapshots, 0 chunks
    ReportingServicesService!runningjobs!16a0!2/4/2005-01:59:59:: i INFO: Execution Log Entry Expiration timer enabled: Cycle: 86400 seconds
    ReportingServicesService!dbcleanup!16a0!2/4/2005-01:59:59:: i INFO: Expiring old execution log entries
    ReportingServicesService!dbcleanup!16a0!2/4/2005-01:59:59:: i INFO: Expiration of old execution log entries is complete. Removed 0 entries.
    there are many records for each second, so even tho it counts down, this set of things happens many times a second... eventually counting down.

the thing is... apparently the default logfile size is 33MB... hence explaining why i had many of those....

86400 seconds is 24 hours. interesting.

for one day last week, i have a 33MB that ran even 1-3 minutes. it seems that once it reaches its max filesize, it just stars a new logfile.. but the timer resets with it.

dunno... hope this helps someone help me.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...es_v1_1s8l.asp How to turn it off - dunno if you need it for anything. However that is the source of all knowledge as far as reporting services goes.

oops
    1. On the Start menu, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and click Services.
    2. Scroll to ReportServer.
    3. Double-click it - do whatever.