Thread: Athlon 64/which is best?

Athlon 64/which is best?

Hey guys,got another noob question for ya.

I am planning on building a new PC (as some of you know from my other thread) and it was suggested i go with the Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHZ processor.

Ive been talking to some freinds (also hardware freaks like me) and they said they might be able to get me a good deal on a few different processors.

Now ive been thinking about other AMD 64's such as the AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 512kb,and the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4Ghz 512kb.

Also from my last thread you know this will be my first overclocking project as well so i just wanted to ask how these processors would stand up to being OCed when compared to the one you suggested
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 10th, 2005 at 07:01 AM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well for the simple fact the 3400 & 3800 have higher default multiplier's they would OC easier because you don't need such a high FSB to do so.

The XP 3000 is going to need good Ram so the FSB can be raised higher, if you have good high performance Ram then i wouldn't worry too much.

High FSB is where the most improvement comes, not so much an extra 100mhz in CPU, get both CPU & FSB high and all is better, if I had to choose only one it would be FSB.

Also the A64 3800 has less head room than the 3000/3400. Doesn't the A64 3800 cost a bunch of $$$ ? in most cases (not all,nothing guaranteed) the 3000/3400 will reach or pass 3800 speeds, that is if you have quality ram that reaches high FSB.

My A64 XP 3400 (754) is running @2530mhz at 230fsb, thats a real easy OC for my system.

The advantage of OC'n is you can/may/maybe get lower cost hardware to perform at the same level of the higher priced.

I want to pose some questions to you, lets remove the OC equation...

If you run a A64 XP 3000 @stock speed right next to a XP 3800, do you think you could see the difference between the two in your general every day computing ? I say you can't unless you look at a benchmark or keep the time it takes to encode/re-encode.

I have a Nforce2 with a XP 2600 mobile and I have a Nforce3 A64 XP 3400, both are @2500+mhz. I would bet you that if you run these two systems together side by side, do all your general windows, surf the net, play games, you wouldn't be able to tell me which system is which unless you ran a benchmark or saw how long it took to recode a DVD.

Would you kill yourself if someone has a higher benchmark ? or they can encode seconds faster ?

If in the most demanding thing your PC ever had to do took a minute longer, would your life be ruined ?

If you won't kill yourself and your life won't be ruined then spend your $$$ wisely
    Last edited by FastGame; February 10th, 2005 at 13:45 PM.

Very true and valid points but the main reason i am building this new PC is because i use my PC mainly for working and also for my little website hobby.I encode lots of video and do lots of graphic creation and editing and occasional 3D modeling.Right now my AMD XP 2400+ is having trouble keeping up especially with the video encoding and 3D rendering.I could always add more RAM,ect as i know it would boost performance but we all know whats here today can be gone tomorrow.Always new technology coming out and its so hard to keep up.Seeing as in the future lots of Programs will most likely be making use of the 64 bit processors i should just upgrade instead of wasting money on older hardware correct?

But no i wouldnt die or anything.Im still 99.9% positive im gonna grab a A64 3000+ but when a freind said they may be able to get me a 3800+ for around 100 bucks i just had to ask the pro's.You gotta admit thats an awsome deal (dont know how he is going to do it and dont wanna know lol)

Anyway im just the curious type i always ask alot of questions about different products before i finally settle down and buy one.You all here have been very helpful for me.Thanks again

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well if you can get an A64 3800 for $100 then grab two cuz I want one

Hey bhxtyrant, if your using the PC for work then of coarse saving time=more production, the A64 is great and you'll benefit

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Well if you can get an A64 3800 for $100 then grab two cuz I want one

Hey bhxtyrant, if your using the PC for work then of coarse saving time=more production, the A64 is great and you'll benefit
    Lol hell yeah if he can somehow manage to get them for that price id buy like a dozen and sell em at a profit lol.Id have to give you a special price though for all the help