Thread: WinXP reboots before starting (blue screen)

Unhappy WinXP reboots before starting (blue screen)

I just recently (yesterday) installed a new mobo, ram, psu, and processor. The BIOS loads without a problem, no errors. All hardware (floppy, processor, ram, hd, cd-rom) is detected correctly. The specs are in my sig.

After the intial BIOS load it goes to load into Windows but stops at a screen where you can choose to load normally, in safe mode, in safe mode with command prompt, or safe mode with networking. I tried all of these it gives the same result. The result it that it begins to appear to start loading windows (no splash screen however) but then immediately flashes a blue screen very very quickly and reboots.

I spent half an hour trying to capture the blue screen with my digital camera. I have the results attached.

I do not have a Win XP cd as it was downloaded on the MSDN Academic Alliance site through the University of Florida engineering program. I am going to be borrowing a cd with an ISO image of Win XP from the same MSDNAA from a friend. Not sure if it will work. What do you suggest I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks (btw my old motherboard is dead!)

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What exactly is the STOP error it's giving you?

You probably need to run chkdsk /F like it advises you - however you need to boot the recovery console to do this. You can boot the recovery console from the windows disk (you haven't got) or from the boot menu if you installed it with 'winnt32 /cmdcons' - you didn't so you need a disk.
    If that fails you will need to do an inplace install which will correct the hardware problem which you may have inadvertantly introduced when you changed your motherboard.

New motherboard requires a new install of XP.

I test boards .. many problems exist if you use a previous OS loaded harddrive.

hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I was able to obtain an ISO image of win xp pro. However the win xp pro image gives a "INF file TXTSETUP.sif is corrupted or missing, status 4096" when the cd is setup to boot from.

So I made a 6 disk setup for win xp pro and was able to get to the Install or Recover screen. I chose "R" for recover and then it reboots my system after that no error or stop code. Any suggestions? BTW I have the image in the cd rom as well and the boot sequence is FLOPPY -> CD -> HD

Thanks again

Okay guys I got everything working. An inplace install fixed the problem. It was the mobo change that caused the errors. Thanks again

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    yep sounded like a chipset driver issue.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---