Thread: Graphics card upgrade, recormended?

Graphics card upgrade, recormended?

my current system is

amd athlon 2500 and 512 mb ram
    fx 5200

wooped NFSU2 on and doom 3 the other day, and they both run. But in crappy res and effects. Was thinking of getting a "Hightech ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Iceq 128MB TV-Out DVI Twin View". Seems to be a good card and with good cooling on it cos apparently they get well hot.

but is this a good card to get, will I then be able to play these games in good res wit effects up? Is there a better cheaper card I should get?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The 9800pro is a great card and would play those games just fine, but its long in the tooth.

For the money the Nvidia 6600 GT AGP is the best bet, its more up to date and better performance than the 9800 Pro.

I don't understand why the prices on the 9800 Pro are still high

Silver Member
    i agree with fastgame i have a 6600gt things runs like a pro pull 40fps+ on doom 3 ultra settings resolution 1600x1200

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    I don't understand why the prices on the 9800 Pro are still high
    Sellers are trying to capitalize on the people who wait for newer products and buy the old top-line stuff... X800/700 are still expensive or in PCI-X... 9800Pro is better than X300/600 right?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I have never seen a video card for PCI-X but that doesnt mean they are not out there, but for PCI-e I have and those cards are slightly more expensive but not by much. The 9800 pro is deffinetly better than the x300 but i dont know how it is compaired to an x600 they are probably equivalent or maybe the x600 is better. If anyone knows, I wouldn't mind knowing myself.

The 9800 pro is deffinetly better than the x300 but i dont know how it is compaired to an x600 they are probably equivalent or maybe the x600 is better. If anyone knows, I wouldn't mind knowing myself.
    The 9800 pro will stomp the X600, you have to get to the X800 Pro-XT series to beat up the 9800 pro.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I'm running a 9700 Pro and it does just fine on all the games.

Thanks for the helps lads

I decided to go for the "AOpen GeForce 6800 LE 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) & DOOM 3 Bundle" for 168.56

Im a little worried about it maybe over heating as im reading most of these new cards do and it dosent look like its got a massive fan on it.

Im a little worried about it maybe over heating as im reading most of these new cards do and it dosent look like its got a massive fan on it.
    Well I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens to you.

Let us know how the card works out

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    I have never seen a video card for PCI-X but that doesnt mean they are not out there, but for PCI-e...
    Sorry I interchange PCI-X and PCI-e freely, for me, both mean pci express interface either x1 or x16 slots

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Even my 9500 softmod runs all the games and not even overclocked.But if you must spend the money then our hardware pimp(Fastgame)knows best.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.