Thread: XP choking while browsing a few hundred files?

XP choking while browsing a few hundred files?

would a P4 2.8 system with 512 ddr and a 7200 HDD be so SLOW while simply browing and loading silly icons for a couple hundred .jpg's?

i have a load of kodak shots and i cant scroll down becasue the system locks up and chokes trying to load the icons for the jpg type..

surely a system like mine should have no problem simply browsing!

i literally have to scroll and wait.. scroll and wait.. scroll and wait..

any one else know about this kinda stuff?

oh, my system is optimised for performance in the my computer properties too..

thx!

You didn't mention the type of internet connection you have. To eleminate it as a possible cose go to a broadband test site and test your connection. If it is what you expect, then go to eggheads spyware removal thread and follow the detailed instructions provided.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Nah i dont think he is talking about on the internet browsing sites.I have also noticed this problem.When browsing a folder with lots of image files usually the icons will show up as a small thumbnail of the larger image so you can see what the image is before opening it.

Im on a 2.0GHZ with 512 PC 3200 ram still the same problem.The easiest way to fix it is set the folder to not display the images until you click on it.the reason it has to stop and load is because the created thumbnail images are stored into a file called "thumbs" in the same folder which is usually hidden so you cant see it.

Yes, that I agree. The thumbs.db which is hidden has to scan all the image files in the folder and generate a preview which takes time and memory. Disabling it by just choosing a different type of view makes life faster.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

hi guys, thanks for replying, unfortunately im not even displaying thumbs, just the actual adobe icon that .jpg are linked to...

when i open the folder, the icons start off as the standard .dat style, then get refreshed to the adobe .jpg version...

this takes 99% of the ram when scrolling, and i have got no adware, no virii or any unneccesary tasks taking up more than 1% of ram idling...

strange, eh...

Hmm that is strange.When you say the adobe.jpg icon what do you mean exactly?Is it different from the standard .jpg icon?if so perhaps try changing it back to default and see if that helps.I have folders with around the average of 200-400 jpg files in them and havent had this problem before.Hope this helped if not im sure one of the experts here can help you.

hmm i just thought of this as well im not sure if this would cause the problem or not though.how large are the image files?are they fairly small say about 100kb or are these high res images?

If you do not have it already try this.

Adobe Reader 7
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html

thanks for the link tinker, unfortunately its not the solution i need, adobe reader wouldnt really help in my situation, cheers tho

bhxtyrant, the icons are like what quicktime or winmedia or winamp have when they make file associations...

id post a pic but iownjoo.com is crap right now ans not showing stuff so heres a link instead...

thx!