Thread: MRAM: How much longer do we have to wait?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

MRAM: How much longer do we have to wait?

What is MRAM?

IBM is teaming with Infineon Corporation to develop Magnetic RAM chips, which have the potential to replace all computer memory RAM technologies in use today and can lead to instant-on computers and longer battery life for pervasive devices. Magnetic RAM chips use magnetic rather than electrical structures to store information, so they do not need to be constantly powered to retain data, like current RAM technologies. They are also much faster and less expensive to make than today's nonvolatile Flash memory.
    I was watching the history channel today about the history of magnets and they did a block on MRAM. And I am just wondering if anyone knows any more info about it. Like how long will it take to get it at the consumer level? Any gestimates?

I think this will revolutionize computing in the 21st century. I'm eager to see this type of ram hit the market... and I'd be willing to pay a premium considering I could shut my PC off and on in an instant and have everything I was working on still there stored in the magnetic ram... It will be sweet.

More about MRAM below:

http://www.research.ibm.com/resource...amimages.shtml

http://mram-info.com/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    I think this will revolutionize computing in the 21st century. I'm eager to see this type of ram hit the market... and I'd be willing to pay a premium considering I could shut my PC off and on in an instant and have everything I was working on still there stored in the magnetic ram... It will be sweet.
    Very interesting BB! It will be really a revolution!
    This means, for example, you will not need a portable device with (SD)RAM + FLASH for storing information. Potentially you do not need any mechanical hard-drive!

I think MRAM are similar to FRAM already produced by Fujitsu.
    http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/e...s/memory/fram/
    http://www.fme.fujitsu.com/news/press/show/584/228/

Actually the capacity is too low for replacing big FLASH memories and the speed is low if compared to RAM, but they're much better than EEPROM!
    We just need to wait a few years...

MRAM will be revolutiuonary. NO mechanical movements means no mechanical problems associated with hard drives. But it will take a very LONG time for Hard Disks to be phased out. Even magnetic tapes are still around. Its a matter of price even for big companies becasue of the need for back-up.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Also, there is a problem with magnetic disruption... you wouldnt want to operate your microwave oven next the PC, and wipe your Magnetic data in memory or HD

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Also, there is a problem with magnetic disruption... you wouldnt want to operate your microwave oven next the PC, and wipe your Magnetic data in memory or HD
    I'd say some kind of insulation might be able to prevent that... but who uses their PC near their microwave???

...who uses their PC near their microwave???
    Have you seen those Internet & TV Fridges from LG

I might be standing watching the latest sports drinking an import while my burrito is warming in the MOven

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Have you seen those Internet & TV Fridges from LG

I might be standing watching the latest sports drinking an import while my burrito is warming in the MOven
    Now that is an uber geek

Now that is an uber geek
    hehee... well that makes 10 of us (just you and me)

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---