Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted... - [FIXED]

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted... - [FIXED]

I just recently was able to do a XP repair on my OS for new hardware. I am getting this error when I try to access my cd-burner(master) or dvd-rom(slave) on my sec_ide

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows.

I have tried several disks that are known to be fine. However when I reboot the system with the disks in the tray it can access the disk fine! But if i take it out and put it or another back in, it can't be accessed. All this started when I added my dvd-rom awhile back, hasnt worked correctly since. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    If you take that drive out is it back to normal?

I think you need to configure the jumpers on your drives to its specific position or better still, cable select which automatically lets your BIOS detect the master and slave.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

If it all happened when you added your DVD rom - you know what to do.

Unfortunately, taking out the DVD-Rom does not fix it! Or uninstalling. I've tried it. Right now it's in a repair shop, they are having a look at it. I will let you know what they find out. I tried cs as well and it didn't seem to help. The device manager in Win Xp does not report any IRQ conflicts or device problems, but reports both as working correctly. The drivers for both are updated.

Hi Dreadhorn, I have dell inspiron 2500 laptop running xp. I have exact same problem. I added cdrw/dvd ages ago when in ME but upgrade to XP seems to have led to problem as described by yourself.When I remove the new device and use only the original integrated cd drive I still have the same problem. I can read a floppy ok in the floppy drive.Please let me know what your repair shop comes up with. I guess I'll be paying them a visit myself.

I have actually seen this problem before and I don't really know what causes it but previously doing an in-place install has fixed it. One thing I noticed in the previous case was that the DVD rom drive was picked up by XP as something other than the actual make/model, perhaps it is a driver issue but why an in-place install would correct it when un-install re-install does not I am afraid I do not know.

Red face

The repair shop called me back, and said an my IDE controllers (onmy brand new mobo) are bad. This does not make sense, as my hard drive works(I get into windows), and the cd-rom & dvd-rom detect cds on boot up. So I asked the guy to try to test to see if there are any internal OS conflicts. If he still thinks it's an IDE controller problem, I am not shipping back my system until I resintall windows. I will let you know if they determine anything else.

-Dread

Thumbs up Solution

The problem was this:

Several internal OS driver conflicts. It slowed down Windows XP as well ( a 4 min boot time). If you can boot into safe mode and your drives work then it is definitely this problem.

The solution is:

A complete format and reinstall of windows. An xp repair did not fix it. An inplace install did not fix it. A complete format and reinstall is necessary to remove the conflicting drivers. Be sure to back up your files to another disk first!

Trouble accessing CD drives in XP and Win2K

I have had this problem with CD drives in Windows 2000 and XP also and have found that USB drivers for pen drives and USB card drivers are the cause. Some USB drivers cause problems accessing the CD Drives expecially if Win98 drivers have been installed by mistake but normal USB drivers for Win2K and XP also cause this.

As yet I have not found a solution except to uninstall the USB drivers.

i get this same message, i try playing a DVD movie that i purchased legally in the US, and thats where i live, so i dont think its a region code issue, in my dvd/cd-rw drive that came with the computer and i get that exact message. I have the Compaq Presario Sr1130nx, i have areadly updated my intervideo windvd player and it still happens, but it only happens on some DVD's, another DVD i purchased the same day from the same store play's back just fine in the same drive, i tried it in my friends DVD player. could somone please help me with this issue, i know its an old thread, also, im not too computer savvy so i didnt really understand what the people in the other posts were saying, i.e. ICQ, and it was a in-house install or re-install?? i just need to know what to do, thank you

another note, in My computer the icon for the drive is a cd on top of the drive and next to it it says DVD/CD-RW Drive (E, and after i put in the DVD that gets the error message, the icond turns into a big cd and underneath it it says DVD-ROM and next to it it now says CD Drive (E, do you think the drive is thinking that i put in an audio or data cd and thats why i get the error message?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    One thing I noticed in the previous case was that the DVD rom drive was picked up by XP as something other than the actual make/model, perhaps it is a driver issue but why an in-place install would correct it when un-install re-install does not I am afraid I do not know.
    that sounds like it might be true to this cause i went to compaq help and typed in my model puter and it listed the updates and firmware for a drive that wasnt in my comp, maybe i do have that drive they listed but my computer for some reason lists it as a different model? like i said b4 though, i dont know much about computers, so i ask for your help, thank you

hey, just checking if anyone knows what this problem is, or how to fix it, thanks

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Hmmm interesting problem... you should confirm that both DVDs you bought work in another computer. Also, what were the DVDs, i heard some come with extra protection and wont play correctly when they detect a DVD-RW or different ASPI layers etc....

Good luck, give it a bit of time for the experts here to do some research

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

yea, both the DVD's play perfect in other players, this stinks man, haha , the one thats not playing is American History X, and the one that plays fine is the brand new King Kong, thats y i dont get it, the brand new movie works fine but this older one is the on giving me problems

should i just give up and get a brand new drive, do u think its software issues, cause the drive works just fine??

i hope these discs arent comming with nmore protection, that'd suck, but if they are, how do i get around that, new software ior what not?

thanks for replying tho dude