Thread: processor upgrade

processor upgrade

i have an pentium II processor on one of my systems and it's quite slow. i'm wondering if it is possible to upgrade that to a pentium IV. i've also heard that the level of upgrade depends on the motherboard capacity. any ideas?

thank you

Silver Member
    what motherboard do u have....and if its a pentium II id say ur prolly gonna need to buy a new motherboard in order to get a new cpu

Yes you will most likely have to upgrade your motherboard and RAM as well and possibly your PSU.Its usually not worth putting all the money it would take into upgrading an old PC as you could build a new one for around the same ammount usually.

i figured as much, that's how it usually is when replacing things these days (that it is the same price for a new one as it is to replace parts), kinda like the iPod...but just out of curiousity, how do i check what type or version or whatever of motherboard, RAM, PSU i have?

thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by catch20who
    i figured as much, that's how it usually is when replacing things these days (that it is the same price for a new one as it is to replace parts), kinda like the iPod...but just out of curiousity, how do i check what type or version or whatever of motherboard, RAM, PSU i have?

thanks again
    You should be able to find out most of your system specs in your device managaer.You can get to it by left clicking your "my computer" icon and choosing properties.Then click the hardware tab>device manager.

This should tell you the name of your systems motherboard,processor,and other hardware specs.Your PSU on the other hand will require you to open your PC case and check the specs sheet sticker thats attached to it.

Most likely you are probally using a motherboard that supports P2 and possibly P3 processors and PC100/PC133 RAM.In my older systems with around those specs the PSU averaged around 220-300 watts.Hope that helps

Download and install Belarc Advisor. It will provide a large amount of info about your computer.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition