Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: amd64 3800+ on ga-k8nxp-sli

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMAD
    What kind of HS/Fan would u guys suggest for this CPU?? iwas looking at the XP-120..but come to find out..its not on the compatibility list...plus i would have to remove the plastic mount..would a gigabtye fan possibly werk better since i wouldnt have compat issues?
    This one:

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/c...01/pipe101.htm

Just pair it up with a suitable 90 mm fan.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    yeah what Conan said

I use the Venus 12, it works real good but you'll need ear muffs if you turn the fan up to High

If I bought another HSF it would be the one Conan has or I'd modify my MB for the Xp-120, but thats me. I don't recommend someone voids the warranty on their MB, so thats your decision....

Let us know how the XP-120 mod turns out

i got a response from thermalright today...and badnews is that none of thier current HS's will work on the mobo/CPU combo i got...well..there goes that. anyother suggestions besides the thamaltake HS above?
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

tried a quick OC..i got it to 2.5 GHz and things were fine...htt=4 cpu=210 ram was still at 200 tho...i upped dthe voltage on vcore to 1.525 to keep the pc from rebooting and idle temps where around 40oC..when i put cpu=220 it wouldnt get stable..it would lock up..i tried to lock ram at 133 and still locked up..should up vcore to 1.550??
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

should up vcore to 1.550??
    Now your going to find out why we said cooling is so important.

Your CPU will be fine at the highest voltage your MB provides, that is if you have proper cooling you should be able to do a vcore of 1.6-1.65 with your HSF, ???? maybe...

My XP 3400 is @ 1.525 vcore and 2.5 ghz so your in the right ball park I don't want my fan to sound like a Jet plane so thats where I keep it.

Also like I said before, FSB is where its at so work on upping the Ram and less emphasis on the CPU.

Anywhoo to answer your ? 1.6 range vcore should be ok, check the temp and work on the FSB.

i odnt mind if it sounds like a jet engine..the altec lansing speakers i got kinda drowns it all out...and the when i dont have the soun d turned up so loud..the fans help drown out the wife screamign at me from another room about how i spend too much time on my pc..i was curious about the voltage tho..i red some specs..and this CPU is only rated for 1.550..not sure on the ram yet..still looking for those specs..

i was curious about the voltage tho..i red some specs..and this CPU is only rated for 1.550..not sure on the ram yet..still looking for those specs..
    Your the one who wants to OC, what the heck "specs" mean ? OC'ers make their own specs

Your ram is rated @2.55V-2.95V so have at it

BTW
    anyother suggestions besides the thamaltake HS above?
    Whats wrong with the HSF Conan suggest ? I would trust his judgment in a heart beat, you should see his overclocked car

OCed car?? ok?? well..ill invest into the new HS/fan next week sometime...till then ill oc with stock..and with what im doing..would cooling my ram be a good idea?? or do u think that the plates will cool enuff? ohh..i did mod my PSU..i noticed that the 120mm fan inside it was kinda slow..i took it out and it was a cheap generic..so i put a thermaltake 120mm from my old case and used it..i cant feel any hot air comign out of this thing anymore, and it seems to be much quieter. ill tinker with OCing more tomorrow tho. it's late where i am.

ill tinker with OCing more tomorrow tho. it's late where i am.
    Ok, its late where i am to, got to go have sex then come back here and keep an eye on cash_site

C U tomorrow

what proggie would u guys suggest for me to use to monitor my temps??

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TestMAD
    what proggie would u guys suggest for me to use to monitor my temps??
    Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

ive been reading that prime95 is the proggie to test for a stable OC...where can i get it?and also..when im OCing..i increase my clock...then let it run for like 5 minutes..then up the clock more..then run for another 5 minutes until it errors out??when it errors out...back the clock back down and run for 24hrs? that sound right?

also i just noticed that one of my case fans wasnt sensing right..and then it just quit sensing...i tried another fan and got nothing. they both use 4pin molex and then have a 3pin that goes to mobo for the sensing lead..what could cause interference with that? could it be my cold cathode that close to that wire??yer opinions pls?

ive tried lots of monitoring utils and some dont even support my board..or like in speedfans case..it lies.it has one of the temp sensors at 70oC and the gigabyte monitor is saying 32oC all the time..and my BIOS is saying 39-40oC...what do i do?

BIOS is saying 39-40oC...what do i do?
    If you flash your bios it'll probably say something different, use what ever comes closest to your bios.