Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: amd64 3800+ on ga-k8nxp-sli

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    they are some cool and awesome HSF kits Conan, they look great too

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

i raised my cpy multi today from 10 to 11 and it locked up..what is the problem?
    do i need to up the vcore?? if so..how much?..
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What FSB are you at ? still 250 ? thats 2750mhz and you arent going to do that with stock V-core.

Keep raising the v-core a bit at a time till it works, if raising the v-core doesnt help then the CPU is at its limit or limit of your cooling.

im gonna be orderng a hs and fan in a day or two and some more ram...in two more weeks im gonna get a real PSU. one that cost me more than 30$..what would u suggest for OCing in the range of 550watt??
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

Good new and bad news...

Bad news first.
    I've found out thru testing that this current system will only be able to achieve 2.6Ghz stable with air cooling...i dont understand y with others hitting 2.7. im attributing it to the mobo and PSU i have.

Good news.
    After begging my better half, she's going to allow me to build a new system over the next few months. I'm looking at a 5-6 month process due to waiting on AMD dual cores to be released and the fact that this is not going to be a budget system by anymeans.Here's what im going for to start with... any suggestions would be great.

CASE - CM Stacker or a Lian (would prefer dual PSU setup for stabilty)

PSU - OCZ ModStream 520 (less cables) or OCZ Powerstream 600 (more power) Whatever is chosen, there will be 2 purchased.

COOLING - Swiftech's H20-220-64 for CPU w/Chipset cooler. Also a second 220 radiator for the dual vid cards i want to have. All running from one pump.

MOBO - Hopfully DFI will offer boards that will support dual core AMD's as soon as the chips are realeased. this could be done though a simple bios update. But a DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR or better release would be great.

CPU - Hopefully the AMD dual cores will be available once i get to this point. With the Venice and SanDiego cores due for realease mid April, this shouldnt be far off. I hope to purchase the best of what is available when I'm shopping for a CPU.

RAM - Corsairs TWINXP1024-3200XL or 3200C2 ( the LED display for a realtime temp reading would be nice) or i would go for PQI's PQI3200-1024DPU which would be really awesoem to have.

VID - I'll be getting 2 Nvidia 6800 Ultra GT's or..if theres a better nvidia choice by then..ill get that...And, i kick myself for saying it, but, im keeping an eye on ATI for a dual GPU setup.OF course..if someone could stick 2 6800 ultra GPUS on one PCB, and get them to connect with another card...hehehe. 4 x 6800 ultra GPU setup would be killer.i know alot of ppl that would put a sticky spot in thier "undies" over that.

STORAGE - Of course i would have to get all SATA..nothing less.

I am considering using 2 fanless PSU's... but im kinda weary of those right now...i would like to go for an almost silent setup..but i could always put some better fans in the PSU's if there is better and quieter.

Now, i know this is a monster of a rig...it would decimate all..and the price tag would decimate my wallet and finances over the next few months...thats why i changed my mind from using the Vaporchill and use the swiftech setup instead.that'll be 500$ i can save..im not going to be in the need of phasechange cooling..i hope..ill be pissed if i end up doing that in the long run. This system is meant not only as a gamerig for me..but also as a benchking. let me know what you think..and post what yer thinking.

and NO!! this isnt a bunch of BS. ive already contacted swiftech about getting my hands on a custom package direct. and the CM stacker will be purchased at hte beginning of next month, unless someone proves to my y i should go with lian li with what im wannting to do,..and prolly an item every week from there on, if finances permit. but, as there is time before i start getting things pls tell me any of yer concerns and suggestions.

PS- my marrital status will be updated with every purchase that i post as recieving.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    PS- my marrital status will be updated with every purchase that i post as recieving.

Aren't the dual cores going to be for high end servers and cost a millon dollars ? well not a millon but heard a whole bunch....

Man all that stuff is killer, I'm jealous and we'll have to switch names

Actually I think you've done quite well with what you have

well on my current system..the ram i got is sweet..and even with a HT101 my cpu is getting good temps..but im topping out around 2.6 as far as stability goes..which im seriously leaning towards getting that dfi board listed above for it..and OCZ's modstream 520 for it..and see if that fixes my problem...if not..then im gonna have to settle on the fact that the cpu is whats wrong..and that would suk. but owell..next CPU i get is for my next system. Oh..and for anyone wondering..im not a richboy..im 27 years old..and live with my inlaws..LOL. i dont have bills to pay, so my money can go other places for now.

EDIT - looks like the AMD 64FX 57 may be way to go for new system CPU. Scheduled for release in april..i think its on the 15th or 17th..SanDiego core, 90nm, SSE3 support, and 2.8Ghz/14 (freq/mutli). the AMDs for ddr2 support and desktop dualcores wont be available till 1st quarter of 2006 it'll be the Orleans core. Looks like AMD wont be hitting the 3Ghz mark on retail CPUs this year..or atleast a bit into next year either. For those about to upgrade... the FX-57 will not surpass the CPU's that are being realeased thru 2005. by that i mean that AMD4x00+'s will by the end of the year equal the 57 as far as freq/multi is concerned. the only difference will be the core's and cache..venice/512L2 for 4x00+ and Sandiego1MB L2 for FX. both have extra layers of copper interconnects. if i find anything on the cores themselves..ill post here.
    Last edited by TestMAD; March 12th, 2005 at 06:26 AM.

well..after looking around for a bit, ive decided to go with a DD 6800 waterblock for gpu/ram...instead of the swifttech that only covers the GPU.

and after reading the furoms for a bit..i noticed im not the only one with a smiley avatar...and after seeing the other one on here..i decided to remake it... so egghead..this is for you..

what do you guys think would be better to look at water cooled..the cmstacker..or the Lian Li PC-V2000?

ok..i need everyones info on this. i've done alot of reading and i think that swifttech makes the best watercooled setups availabe..but there's DangerDen and PolarFlo to consider..what i need is every to tell me what they think before i buy a custom modded case from voyeurmods for roughly 1000$.it's pretty much up to a vote by the forum members cus i cant make up my mind. Pls help.