Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: amd64 3800+ on ga-k8nxp-sli

amd64 3800+ on ga-k8nxp-sli

Has anyone here OC'ed this setup?im lookign to OC to 3Ghz from 2.4. I'm new to OCing so please explain very well.thnx

When you start overclocking, you are usually able to obtain larger gains from a lower rated chip that the fasted in a series.

Hot Hardware were only able to raise the 3800+'s clock speed to 2.58GHz (158MHz, or a 6.5% increase).

Tell us how well you do?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

well..i read the article and they said that they think the culprit behind the low clock was the mobo, and they also stated they had "early engineering samples". My outlook on OCing this processor is still good though. I've spoken to a few ppl that were able to get a stable 2.7Ghz on these things. Most tho ask why I would even try to OC a 3800+. Im a good example of "Tim Taylor" syndrome...THE MORE POWER THE BETTER. <GRUNTS>

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Every system is different so only you will know how far you can go. I'd say on air up to 2.6 would be reasonable, after that comes down to many variables and cooling is the main one.

Lets us know how it goes

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    a big player in OC'ing is getting your hands on some good thermal paste and some high quality ram.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    a big player in OC'ing is getting your hands on some good thermal paste and some high quality ram.
    Yep, in the end a high FSB will mean more than the CPU clock, ram......

Here's what i got.

AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF
    Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
    GeIL GL5123200DC 512MB Kit DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader
    2 EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup
    PowMax dual fan 550Watt PSU ***waiting for delivery on feb. 16***
    Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm Front/Rear fan and side fan
    im also using round cables and i used my last bit of arctic silver.

since this CPU is only 2.4Ghz, i thought it would be simple enuff to 2.7 Ghz on aircooled. But im drooling over some Thermaltake water cooling kits. Watercooling may have to kept in mind when trying for the 3Ghz. right now my CPU stays at 29-32o celsius, even at a heavy load. iv'e had some ppl tell me that is really awesome and leaves lots of room to play with. However, i may hit the local puter store and dget some waterblocks and then hit the pet store for a pump and resevior. My brother-in-law is about to trash his old dorm room minifridge. i may have to get that from him and run a chilled setup. dunno. lots of things to think about and that minifridge idea would make an awesome mod, especially if i found a way to put the whole pc in the fridge.

got any suggestions as to what wud be better, crucial or pny? i've got an amd 2500 barton core athlon xp on a soyo kt400 dragon ultra mobo. ~s

Quote Originally Posted by TestMAD
    minifridge idea would make an awesome mod, especially if i found a way to put the whole pc in the fridge.
    I already did that years ago even after I mounted the power supply on the outside of the fridge it couldn't keep up with the constant heat produced by the CPU & GFX card.

IMO for you to get 2.7++ your going to need chilled water and a bunch of $$$ as a minimum.

[edit]=
    Quote Originally Posted by santino
    got any suggestions as to what wud be better, crucial or pny? i've got an amd 2500 barton core athlon xp on a soyo kt400 dragon ultra mobo. ~s
    santino we wanted your avatar size reduced, the font size was ok

Oh sorry, "crucial or pny?" Crucial
    Last edited by FastGame; February 15th, 2005 at 15:04 PM.

testmad your ram is higher end so that wont be an issue.and the nforce chipsets are great OC'ers.

this is a post from another OC forum im on...let me know of yer opinions.

Go to your bios and enter the "M.B. Intelligient Tweaker" (M.I.B) menu.

CPU Frequency: [250.0] Change this value using "+" and "-" on your numpad
    CPU Spread Sprectrum: [Center Spread]
    PCIE Clock: [100Mhz]
    K8 CPU Clock Ratio: [Default] or [12]
    Robust Graphics Booster: [Auto]
    CPU Voltage Control: [Manuel]
    Normal CPU Vcore: 1.500V is default but you're probably going to have to raise this
    Core Power voltage control: [Normal]
    HT-Link Voltage control [Normal]
    DDR voltage control: [Normal]

Now the default CPU Frequency is 200.0 and you CANNOT just immediately jump it to 250.0 and think it's going to be okay. I usually jump the frequency by increments of 10mhz then run Prime95 for a night to see if the overclock is stable or not. You can speed it up a little but don't try jumping all the way with one try. Now lets say you overclocked to 2.6ghz or so and you cpu temp isn't that high but your computer keeps restarting and having stability issues, You have to now change you CPU Vcore to a higher setting. 1.500 is the default you can try increasing the vcore by increments of .025 so you can try 1.525 and see if that helps. Now increasing Vcore can bring stability but it will also increase your cpu temperature so don't up the Vcore unless you have to.

Unfortunately the manuel of your motherboard didn't show me all the menus in the bios so on some of these you're going to have to find on your own.

Your HTT should be by default set to 1000mhz. It's basically the cpu frequency 200mhz x 5 = 1000mhz with multiplier of 2 making it effective @ 2000mhz. When you increase you CPU frequency the HTT goes up as well. i.e if you CPU frequency is 210 then the HTT is 210mhz x 5 = 1050mhz x 2 = 2100mhz
    People have stability issue when the Hypertransport goes above much higer than 2000mhz. So remember to find this option in the bios and change the multiplier to 4, That way when you reach your goal of 250mhz cpu frequency the HTT willl be 250mhz x 4 = 1000mhz x 2 = 2000mhz.

Also, this shouldn't really be an issue because by default most bios has the option in auto, but if you can also find a menu that lets you choose you're ram frequency. Since you have PC3200 ram it's highly doubtful that you'll be able run your ram syncronously with your cpu frequency of 250mhz (if you get there). So you have to drop your ram to PC2700 DDR 333 speed or as some bios use (5:3) divider. Therefore if you do hit 3ghz your cpu frequency will be 250mhz x 12= 3000mhz and your ram will run at approx 210mhz x 2.

Quote Originally Posted by TestMAD
    this is a post from another OC forum im on...let me know of yer opinions.
    It depends on what forum and who posted the suggestions. I've only seen you @Yoshi's, what other places do you go ?

I don't know about your MB so I can't comment are what the best settings should or should not be. I do know that you shouldn't get hung up on the HTT speed, if you have to lower it for stability you won't lose much (if any) in performance.

I do know about your CPU, for you to reach 3ghz+ you have your work cut out

What is it you want this PC for, benchmark king or gamer ?

For extreme overclocking, IMHO you could have made better choices (MB,Ram,CPU).

Looking at your system spec's, you have a Monster game rig pure & simple, you should be able to crush any game in your path. Why don't you just OC your CPU as far as you can on air and be happy your in the upper echelon of the PC world

I mean a 3800xp 64bit with duel SLI why bother OC'ing.

lol. i've been hearing that alot. i like how u described my system. ive jsut noticed that with some programs, it lags like my AMDXP 2200+. it's just a little discerning since i spent 600$ for this CPU and only 250 for the 2200 back when it was still a new chip..

The new PC will only be used for my webdesign proggies and some serious gaming. I guess yer right about the choice i made. like i said tho, that lag i sometimes experience is bugging me abit. Im starting to think that its cus im still running winxp32..not a 64 bit os, but after looking at a few benchmarks for this cpu and the vidcads, i noticed that while running this setup in a 64 bit env. is great..but when u get to gaming it is actually hindered by the 64 bit os cus of the virtual 32bit layer used to run them. thats when i decided to stick with winxp32. the thought of mandrake did cross my mind but im not that well versed in the world of *nix. Ohh.. im also on www.hardwareanalysis.com

What kind of HS/Fan would u guys suggest for this CPU?? iwas looking at the XP-120..but come to find out..its not on the compatibility list...plus i would have to remove the plastic mount..would a gigabtye fan possibly werk better since i wouldnt have compat issues?
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm