Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xandros 3.0.1

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Lightbulb Xandros 3.0.1

http://techzonez.com/comments.php?shownews=12140

Without a doubt one of the most user friendly Linux releases yet.. and seeing as it is now being released freely, with the included "CROSSOVER PLUGIN" you cannot beat it. This means you can run your favorite windows apps on Linux right out of the box without any tinkering...

Take a look at the link above to the TZ front page for download information.

Update: Below are the files for the 3.02 release of Xandros. Be sure to use them instead as they are the latest available.

Download: Xandros 3.02 OCE edition

BitTorrent

BitTornado

winMd5Sum

Download

WinZip

DeepBurner

Nero CD Burning

Getting Started Guide

Open Circulation Disc Artwork

Windows® Download
    Xandros Desktop OS Version 3
    Open Circulation Edition

You will download it, unzip it, create an installation CD, then install it.
    Downloading the file

If you already have BitTorrent software installed, go to step 3. Otherwise, follow the instructions here for using BitTornado.

To download the file

1. Download BitTornado (3.3 MB).
    2. Install it by double-clicking the .exe file.
    3. If you are behind a firewall, open ports 6881 to 6889 (consult your firewall documentation for details) to allow you to share with other downloaders.
    4. Download Xandros Desktop OS Open Circulation Edition.
    5. If you are using the Internet Explorer Web browser, you are automatically prompted to begin downloading the zip file. For other Web browsers, double-click the .torrent file to start the download. The file size is 540 MB. You can pause the download, and even pause and shut down the computer and resume a download later by double-clicking the .torrent file.

6. When finished, help us save on bandwidth costs so that we can continue to provide this no charge download and leave your BitTorrent client open.

Checking the file

You can check that the file downloaded correctly using a check sum program. This step is optional and recommended. If you have a check sum program already, you can use it. Otherwise, you can download and use the free winMd5Sum program as outlined here. You will use one of the following check sums:

c53c8fee7446d73d9883c8a4c860448d xandros-302-oce-installation.zip
    0bbb91de5ba46b188745771592ab0f65 xandros-301-ocd-installation.zip
    Source: Xandros Website
    Last edited by Big Booger; October 14th, 2005 at 14:04 PM.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Hmm...the screenshots show that the Crossover Plugin is available for purchase. But I assume the screenies are old?

The deluxe version has crossover plugin which is what this version is. The screenies are of the non-deluxe version 2.0. Sorry about that mistake.

I am getting this on the torrent file listed on the frontpage now. Gonna try it out as soon as I get it downloaded.

Well I took the plunge and installed Xandros this weekend. It is one weekend later than I expected to, but last weekend I was sick.

So I burned the ISO, popped in the CD, and was running the OS within 15 minutes. All my hardware was configured correctly, including my HP multifunction printer, Logitech Mx510, Logitech wireless keyboard, Canon IXY digital camera, Internet settings, everything was nearly perfect.

So the first thing I did was go to TZ using firefox which was pre setup and works great. Using version 1.0 atm. One thing is the fonts.. they are not as good as the windows fonts. THey look pixelated or something... I will be installing true type fonts soon....

Updating applications with Xandros couldn't be easier.. You can simply click the "UPDATE ALL XANDROS APPS" button at the top of the Xandros Network window or you simply open the Xandros Networks prompt, click on the applications you want to update, and then select the type and the app you want to update, and click update.

After that Xandros goes on the net and downloads the latest versions that are compatible with your version. I had firefox and Thunderbird both updated in less than 3 minutes.

In fact I kind of like Xandros more than Mandrake.. and that is quite hard to believe. But before I officially declare it, I want to spend some more time playing around with it.

Xandros seems like a very refined version of Linux... it looks as professional as windows.. but still shows some of the "communist" look that haunts the early days of Linux.. like the cheesy sound icon, and wierd logoff buttons...

But, the great thing is Xandros makes it as simple as a few clicks to change almost every setting, button, and theme you want to change.. from the way you can open your windows, to how you click and close things.... from the xandros way, to a more KDE based environment right up to a windows clone....

The other great feature is that Crossover plugin is already installed and setup... that means I can install several of my favorite windows based apps without much effort at all... And it is free, though it is a 30 day trial.

Skype is even preinstalled... windows doesn't even offer that... All I have to do is set it up. Now that is grand.

It will take time to get used to Xandros. With time, and enough patience this OS could replace windows... I see no reason other than gaming........... and a few funky windows only apps that would stop me from doing it entirely.

One thing I will say is about drivers... again, compared to windows this version of Linux still is lacking... I don't blame Xandros for that... that's ATI, Nvidia, and all the other card makers.... They should put as much emphasis on Linux as they do windows, and the support would improve.. of course it would be more costly and take more time... but then you the user would be able to serious consider both OS as equals and decide for yourself which is better...

That won't happen anytime soon.. but who knows, maybe in a couple of years..

Take a look at the image I posted.. I might have more coming in the future..

BB - Good report. After you have used it a while, let me know whether I should switch over from Mandrake.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Go to Windows Upate with Internet Explorer and do an update.
    I don't know why it amuses me but doing a Windows Update on linux does.
    This isn't of course down to Xandros it's down to CXOffice - I do it on my SuSE box when I need a cheap amusement.

That was gonna be one of my questions. For example if I run MS Office on it would I still be able to perform updates for those apps? Or AV software, would the same ones work?...

Open Xandros Networks
    Select Edit -> "Set Application Sources"
    Check "Debian Unsupported Site"
    Select OK
    Select Settings -> "Expert View"
    Now do a Search for your desired program
    Select the install link to install it

After this I was able to download and install many software titles.

Warning: Debian repositories are not officially supported by Xandros and installing software from an unsuported repository can potentially frag your system especially if you mess with KDE. However, installing most applications from the unsupported site is unlikely to create problems.

That helped a lot in my daily fun. I have been using Xandros for about 3 hours now. I've managed to update all software from Xandros.. but there were several apps I wanted.. so I used the tip above to get more apps from the "unsupported debian database"

And I have been having fun trying to get my mx510 mouse to work fully. It now functions bascially as a 3 button and scroll mouse... but I have found a way to get the back and forward buttons to work and make it work more like in windows.

I am using the following site:

http://www.erickenny.com/misc/linux-business.html#mouse

Just getting too tired.. its 1:15 am here.. so I am heading off to slumber.

@rik, for AV, just use Fprot in Linux.. it works fine.

"Thank You and Good Night."

I will post more on Xandros. It's an interesting alternative to windows.

I've been downloading it for about 23 hours now...slow,slow,slow.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    I've been downloading it for about 23 hours now...slow,slow,slow.
    Same here. It took me most of two days to finish.

My first install did not work. The Mandrake that was originally on the drive continued to load. I did a low level format and then got a good Xandros installation.

So far I like the way it is layed out. The only real problem is that I haven't been able to set up my network printer which resides on a windows computer.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I finally got mine but haven't had time to burn a cd or get a system ready to put it on. I'm lookin at my old celeron 300a to try it on. It has 98 on it right now and I'm not wanting to retire it...just hard to let go.

Make sure to check out the Xandros forums for help. http://forums.xandros.com/

I've been lurking over there.. picked up a lot of good information.

Thought I'd post another screenie.