Thread: Wireless print server

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Wireless print server

Thinking about buying a wireless print server for my printer.I have a wireless router for internet and a home network system that see's each other,but the printer won't print from the work stations.I had it working at one time before I got high speed cable internet but I had to disable the firewall for it to work.I figure with it's own server the printer will be more accessable and easy.They are very expensive as far as I can see,around $80 to $100.Any suggestions or comments?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Have you tried allowing the printer server's IP in your firewall (as opposed to just disabling it)?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I agree with Supastar. just punch a hole in the firewall settings to allow the printer to communicate. I have 3 PCs and a wirelessly connected laptop setup up to share my networked printers. And all are firewalled and shared over a wireless and wired router.

It's down to the settings. As for the wireless server, it's a nice idea but is it worth the extra bucks to get setup?

Unless you’re putting the printer in an awkward place, stick with sharing the printer via windows file and print services or purchase a wired external print server.

Personally for business I like HP.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...253-64302.html

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Have you tried allowing the printer server's IP in your firewall (as opposed to just disabling it)?
    Ok,going to try this but where do I find the print servers IP?I have allowed printer sharing on the main box which is attached to the wireless router.With Panda firewall I can chose .exe programs for inbound and outbound access,but I don't see IP entries.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Login to the router and view the list of the attached devices. You should see the printers IP address there.