Thread: raid

Silver Member

raid

can u partion a hard drive into 2 equal sizes and set that up as a raid....this is just out of curiosity...and if u can will it help with speed at all or not

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quick answer, No. Wanna know why? Here ya go: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...eid=830&page=5

Silver Member
    next question can u use an sata and an ide in a raid?

Bronze Member
    Depends on what other software/hardware you use.

The Nvidia GeForce 3 chipset on my EPoX 8KDA3+ maiboard supports mixed Sata/Pata raid across up to 6 drives (4 Pata and 2 Sata).

I prefer to use the onbord Sil3114 controller to control a 4-drive Sata Raid5, though.

This is the mainboard I have: http://www.epox.org/cms/index.php?op...d=20&Itemid=41

Some Geforce 4 chipsets offer up to 8 (4 Sata+4 Pata) drives in a raid, but the Geforce 3/Geforce 4 controllers doesn't offer Raid 5. You'll only get Raid 0, 1, 0+1 and JBOD out of 'em.

For max performance, storage and security, you'll need a hardware controller that supports higher raid levels (level 5) and has a hardware X-or engine. This means a separate controller card and more $$$.

Kind regards

Johan-Kr
    System1: iMac 27"
    System2: PowerMac dual 800 (mirrored drive doors), OsX 1.5 Leopard
    System3: EPoX 8KDA3+, 1Gb RAM, 4x1Tb - Raid5, CoolerMaster CM Stacker, FreeNAS.

Bronze Member
    Oh - by the way...

You can use Windows XP to set up software raids across different disks - no matter what controllers they're on. It's not very efficient, but it's cheap.

You can even set up a level 5 raid, but you need to do some tweaking of the OS to manage it. Toms Hardware has an article on it: http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041119/index.html

They have a lot of articles on various raid solutions. Just check out their mass storage section.

Johan-Kr

Silver Member
    i have an athlon xp 3200+ 1 gig of ram 1 sata wd 120bg hd 1 ide wd 120gb hd gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 onboard raid and sata controler i dont know if it supports it or not

Bronze Member
    I'm sorry to say this, but the onboard raid controller on the Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 mainboard only supports raid on the Sata ports.

If you want to mix Sata and Pata drives in a raid with that mainboard, you have to use the win xp software variant. (The home/professional edition only allows raid modes 0 and 1. For using raid 5, you have to do the tweak described by Toms hardware.)

Johan-Kr