Thread: Monitor specs best for photo editing

Question Monitor specs best for photo editing

My daughter is interested in professional digital photography and very good. She's got the camera (a graduation gift to herself), we've had a computer built that will handle all the heavy graphics editing and equipment, now it is time to replace her circa 1990 monitor. She's looking at LCD's. A deal came up at for an Acer with the following specs:
    Display Type LCD Active Matrix TFT
    Viewable Screen Size 17 inches
    Pixel Pitch 0.264 mm
    Contrast Ratio 350:1
    Maximum Resolution 1280 x 1024

Problem is, I don't know if it would be sufficient for viewing and editing photos, since it seems it would be best if display is as close to the actual photo colors and resolution as possible. I know when I look at monitors in the store, they all seem to accentuate a different base color - red, blue or yellow.
    I plan to do some reading, but if we have any experts here that can point me in a direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    As far as I know, CRT's handle colors more accurately than LCD's.

Rats

I wouldn't have even thought that, figured LCD's would be more likely to be more accurate. Can get a flat LCD and fit it on the desk easier too. Thanks, that's a good start. I'll keep reading and add comparing CRTs to my list. I'm sure she'll sacrifice the space if it is a more accurate viewing environment.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Note-cheap LCD and photo editing don't usually mix well

Lots of digital photographers are using LCD's, they use good ones and they calibrate (need to do on CRT also) them.

Look for high contrast ratio, brightness and wide viewing angle.

Myself I'd stick with Dell, Viewsonic or Samsung...but thats me, other manufactures make excellent one's too.

Read all the reviews you can, most tell you how accurate they are with color and the amount of adjustments that can be made.

My daughter did mention calibration. Something she read in a photo magazine. Monitors are definitely not a strong point here, only ever needed them to display text and graphics so I could see them. Most of my tech time is spent on replacing parts and keeping Microsoft's 100 tenticle octopus tamed. This will definitely be a learning experience.

My daughter did mention calibration.
    Seems as though your daughter has grip on things already

If she's serious then it would be best for her to study at the major photography forums, many have some of the top Pro photographers who'll give advice on whats best for her/your budget

To be honest, I hadn't even thought about looking for photography forums. Don't know why not. I guess I was thinking equipment = tech forum. You make a very good suggestion! I think I shall go in search of as awesome a photography forum as I've found a computer forum at TechZonez - hope they make one.

I think I shall go in search of as awesome a photography forum as I've found a computer forum at TechZonez - hope they make one.
    At TZ we have members who dabble in all kinds of things and try to help the best we can, sometimes the advice leads to places other than TZ.

I like this Photo Forum

Don't get lost on your journey and make sure you find your way back to TZ
    Last edited by FastGame; February 16th, 2005 at 15:26 PM.