Thread: VERY VERY important outlook express question, PLEASE HELP!!!

VERY VERY important outlook express question, PLEASE HELP!!!

I accidentally deleted outlook express on my computer. I, along with the rest of my family, lost some very important emails. It pulled the email from the internet so I have no way of getting to them. If anyone can help me, I would be forever in your debt. Pleeeeeeeeeas! someone has to help me, this is extremely important. PLEASE, and thank you in advace!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    HI

first thing.

what is your operating system?
    did you reinstall outlook?

if you did not please wait for someone to answer before you do. might over write the files
    ------------------------------------------------------------

What versions of Windows and IE/OE are you running?
    Windows XP, Im not sure which outlook express it is and im pretty sure internet explorer is version 6
    How did you delete the emails?
    i went to control panel to remove some of the old programs and games i no longer use. then i went to "remove windows components" so i could get rid of windows messenger because it pops up everynow and then to renew it and nobody even uses it. anyway, i unchecked all the boxes that were checked except for the windows messenger box. then i restarted and they were gone. my ie favorites are still here, im using it now, but there is no way to get there besides having a shortcut to a specific website on my desktop.
    Have you looked in your Recycle Bin?
    they are not there
    Do a Find or Search for *.dbx files. Do you find any? Do they indicate that anything is in them? (You will not be able to read the content, but you can see how many bytes are in them.)I ran Outlook Express Backup Wizard and it gave me a "My Messages" folder on my desktop. It has the different sections that were in my oe, (ie outbox, inbox, deleted, drafts, etc.) I cannot open them because outlook is no longer there.

i have not re-installed outlook because i am afraid ill overwrite things i need
    i also searched for ".pst" on my comp and found nothing

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Try to run a System Restore to a point a few days back and see what that does.

Hi

I don’t use Outlook Express, but I do use Outlook. Outlook saves all of your emails in a .PST you can either try searching for .PST or have a look in C:\Documents and settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. You will need to be able to browse hidden folders to navigate here (open My Computer, Click the Tools menu and select Folder options, then click on the View tab and select the ‘Show hidden files and folders’ radio button) These files will not get overwritten if you re-install your application. You can import your emails back into Outlook (should be the same in Outlook Express) by opening the program and selecting File, then Data File Management. Click Add and select the second option (Outlook 97-2002 personal file folder)

I know this is using Outlook and not Express but I hope it helps.

system restore works, thanx all for the help!