Thread: NForce upgrade

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

NForce upgrade

Fastgame or anyone else with information.I have the A7N8X mobo and love the performance and reliability so far.I was kicking around some numbers and have decided to possibly upgrade this system rather than invest in a new Asus A8V(D)/A64/939/K8T800PRO,1 GB 400 memory,and AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+ (2.0GHz) 939-pin which will set me back about $483.My idea on my exsisting machine is to upgrade my memory to PC3200 1GB DDR400 Hyper X Kingston(dual channel kit) which I can get for $195.My question is can I use this memory on my older revision board and will I benefeit with game play performance and video editing or should I save my money and go A64
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Silver Member
    id say go 64 more speed and since thats what ur lookin for...well....isnt it obvious

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What ram do you have now ?

Your going to need good ram when you upgrade so might as well get some now, then save for A64.

Check out Crucial Ballistix, PQI turbo, PDP Extreme and compair with the Kingston.

Oh and yes the system you have now will be plenty fast with better ram
    Last edited by FastGame; February 18th, 2005 at 22:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    What ram do you have now ?

Your going to need good ram when you upgrade so might as well get some now, then save for A64.

Check out Crucial Ballistix, PQI turbo, PDP Extreme and compair with the Kingston.

Oh and yes the system you have now will be plenty fast with better ram
    FG,I have Kingston HyperX PC 2700 512MB now.Will the ram that your talking about work in my NForce as dual channel?Is the Kingston PC3200 that I mentioned not good enough for an A64 system?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Will the ram that your talking about work in my NForce as dual channel?Is the Kingston PC3200 that I mentioned not good enough for an A64 system?
    Maybe and yes.

Your MB is so picky on ram that I'm to recommend any, the Kingston Hyper X will work good in the A64.

Go to web site and make sure the Kingston is compatible with your MB.

What ever ram you get make sure its using Samsung TCCD chips, the last I heard Kingston Hyper X PC 3200 was TCCD so was the high end Corsair/OCZ/Geil/GSkill/PQI/PDP so which ever cost the least...

IMO Crucial Ballistix PC 3200/4000 is the best (non TCCD) all around performing/compatible ram for Intel & AMD.

BTW rumor has it that TCCD is no more and soon to dry up hurry !
    Last edited by FastGame; February 19th, 2005 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks FG,by the looks of it my best compatibility and price comes in the way of the Ballistix Crucial PC3200 and PC4000 at $119 and $125 per 512MB module respectfully.