Thread: setting up a system restore?

setting up a system restore?

Hey guys,

Yet another question for ya.Ok well i am about to build a PC for someone.This person is just begining with PC's and doesnt know to much about them at all.ow im going to pre install all hardware and software on the PC for him.But i would like to also be able to set up a backup restore of everything after i install all the software so if anything gets messed up he can simply restore it back to the4 default setup without having to reinstall XP and all the oftware again.Do you guys happen to know of any software that can do this?It would be excellent if the backup can be on the hard disk in a seperate partition as well.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Norton Ghost can do this exact thing and is quite a popular product used by some TZ members.

http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Acronis True Image is even better.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I think the XP backup utility works real good if you don't have image software, comes free with XP

Its not as fast as Ghost, DriveImage or Acronis True Image but its works

Thanks guys.I downloaded a free trial of Norton ghost and its exactly what i am looking for.

@fastgame-
    True the built in XP system restore is nice but i dont think its nearly as good as having a complete backup of your system.Basically i wanted to give the ability for him to restore the computer back to the default way it is set up when i deliver it to him.This way if he encouters any trouble in the future he can easily restore the system without having to format and reinstall everything.

If i understand correctly about the XP system restore it doesnt create a full backup of your system but rather just the little changes in the files added and removed daily and keeps track of this.but if you were to accidently delete and important file there would be no way to recover it.Norton Ghost seems to be perfect and suprisingly fast.Since it also has he emergency boot disk as well its evern better.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    @fastgame-
    True the built in XP system restore is nice but i dont think its nearly as good as having a complete backup of your system
    system restore or XP backup utility ??? XP backup will do a complete backup of the whole drive, it'll even install it on a new clean HD but not as fast as image software.

oops lol my mistake FastGame to tell the truth i completly forgot all about XP's backup utility.