Thread: ipv6

ipv6

I've googled it and have found out something about it, but am still not too sure if i should make the switch or not.

So, if someone so wisdomous and knowledgeful could explain what the pros and cons of ipv6 are, it would be greatly appreciated.
    (If all programs work on it, faster/slower speeds...etc)

Thanks in advance

i'm not sure i understand your question. going to ipv6 is not really a choice you (an idividual) can make. if it is, its not a choice you can make yet. nothing has switched over to v6 yet. its still in the infancy of planning.

most likely wont be implemeneted for another couple of years at the earliest.

as for programs working, it depends on what programs, and in what fashion the programs were written... but its most likely that some things will need a re-write/update.

i'm sure others will be able to provide you with more info on it. i researched it last year, but forgot most of it already, lol.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I think that is a great question. I have been wondering myself for a while too. Unfortunately I am so short on time that I have'nt even look in google
    I think you need it if you wun IPSec, more than that I am in the dark.
    I would like to learn about this too

In summary, IPV6 offers Enhanced Secuirty, new types of packet addressing, Streamlined headers over previous versions of IP. I think were still a ways off from seeing it mainstream.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    what about backwards compatibility? If I am runnign IPv6, can I connect to a server that uses IPv4?

In Estonia quite a few are making the switch to ipv6 or creating a "IPv6 tunnel".

http://6to4.version6.net/?lang=en_GB

So, appearantly it is a choice you can make if you ISP supports it. Since my estonian isn't very good and when getting into technical stuff in the language i'm even more confused. So i don't get much help from this end.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    the main push for IPv6 is that it uses more octets in the ip address so basically we would have an unlimited amount of IP addresses. with the huge jump in internet users and internet compatible devices the pool of IP addresses are being consumed at a crazy rate. Also with the increase in octets...you get a broader range of #'s for a more secure internet. From what I read a few yrs ago the whole internet backbone will be changing so I dont think you have a choice in the matter.

Thanks for the info