Thread: i'm not sure if this is under the right category

Angry i'm not sure if this is under the right category

i have microsoft windows xp and my dvd player wont play. i' had never used it. and a few months ago i tried and it dint work but i didnt really think much of it.i have jus tried to use it liek 2 min ago and it still wont work! grr. my computer made this really wierd sound. its sounded like the dvd player was reving up ( u know like when u hear a motorcycle rev up ) and then the sound would die away . then it would repeat this process. it sounded as if my comp were trying to play it but couldnt. why is this. i have to return this dvd in a few days and i'd like to be able to view it gosh darnit!.
    Last edited by unchainedmelody; February 19th, 2005 at 22:22 PM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    the standard setup for winXP doesnt support playing DVDs, it is missing the DVD codec. you can either download the dvd codec or install dvd software that may have come with the dvd drive such as PowerDVD, winDVD etc, this will install a viewer for you but more importantly the DVD codec to be able to see the images

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

i have win dvd it came with my computer

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    does it play normal CDs? like a music CD?
    In my sister's laptop the DVD-RW could not read discs either. I called tech support from HP, and they made her re-install the OS. It worked for a while, then it stop working. I checked it and they made me delete the filters installed by WinDVD or PowerDVD. They say that sometimes they are not installed well. The filters install as registry keys. Try looking at the support pages. Unfortunately I did not take notes. In my sister's case it was actually that the drive was bad. If I tilded the computer to the left before inserting the CD/DVD it read them fine. Fix? Replace the DVD player

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unchainedmelody
    i have win dvd it came with my computer
    thats good news, sorry, but you've installed it right??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

The easiest so far with the most functionality and power is the Nero 6 Reloaded Suite. My TDK DVD drive cum burner came with the Original Nero 6 and after a long 5 hour download I got the update. It comes with lots of things including the best DVD Movie player so far.

And yeah, even if you have WinDVD, installing it is another thing. Make sure the installation is complete if you are given the option to do so.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

thanks to all who replied. i'm not quite sure what you all mean though.. that i should re-install my windvd?. maybe its my dvd drive beacuse when i tried to re-install it with my help and support it told me somethng like driver not found.